Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I've been search the net a lot to find this, but since I can't really find any good sites I ask you...

I'm looking for either a tutorial on how to create patterns, typically patterns found in the background of modern web sites, i.e. nothing like the MS Word textures that can be found here and there.

If you've seen wallpaper from the seventies you kind know what kind of patterns I'm talking about. They shouldn't be small, such as the striped background you easily create yourself in photoshop, that is 10x10 px, but rather about 64x64 =<.

Has anyone got a tutorial about this (not texture, but patterns) or maybe a site about it?

Member #
    http://squidfingers.com/patterns/

Get some inspiration from somewhere, get a digital camera and take pictures of wallpaper with the similar styles you're after, the same can be true if you happen to know anybody with thoes hideously ugly carpets which include similar repeating patterns within them.

Trace the patterns in a vector environment (that means not Photoshop) then you can export the finished tracing into Photoshop and offset it to create a seamless title.

All the modern day equivelents were inspired from some artist who was popular a number of decades ago, yea I know that's increadably vague... I can't remember their name(s).

Member #
    I woudl recomend looking at a few adult sites! They are way ahead in terms of Graphics and site Dev.

Member #
    I woudl recomend looking at a few adult sites! They are way ahead in terms of Graphics and site Dev.
    That's got to be sarcasm right?

Member #

Member #
    Thanks trico... (And foodbiz?)
    I've actually been there, at the site, but the probles is that they have such small patterns, much like those I was talking about in the first post.

How do you offset and trace the images, like you're talking about?
    Illustrator, would that work to do the tracing in (whatever it is)?

Member #
    Does anyone have the answers?

Member #
    You trace them using the Pen tool in Illustrator, Freehand, Corel Draw, Xara etc but I recommend you don't use either Photoshop or Flash for this.

Once you've done that you can export the shape into Photoshop and then Filter > Other > Offset etc... (I believe) ...this will wrap around the edges and off centre it so you can recreate a seamless edge.

Member #
    Thanks a lot, I'll try it out!

Remove Ads