Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Member #
    I've been doing web design or ages, but I've never paid much attention to graphics (typical database programmer, huh?). Now, I've decided it's time to start messing around with a graphics program. How much better is PhotoShop (as opposed to PaintShop Pro)? For a GFX newbie, it it worth the extra money?

Member #
    I'm learning how to design too, and PhotoShop is the clear leader in the industry. It's a hard program to use, but I would recommend learning that instead of paintshop pro. There are a TON of tutorials on the web regarding photoshop, and I know more people who know photoshop than paintshop pro. Also, you can learn how to do some simple yet impressive looking effects quickly. I've never used paintshop pro, so I dont know how similar they are, but Photoshop is said to be better, so my thinking on starting out with Photoshop was that I didn't want to have to learn two programs. I'd rather spend the extra time learning how to use Photoshop well. That's my two cents, good luck!

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    I agree with splufdaddy. I actually started with PSP about 6 years ago, but as little as 5 years ago became hooked on PS.

It's just superior in every way. PS to PSP is like Word as compared to Wordpad (maybe a little exaggerated, but you get the point).

Member #
    That is exaggerated Transio. It's like Word to Notepad.
    (sorry, geek joke, wont happen again)

JR
    Member #
    i have been using PSP for ages, but i have been using PS for a few months and when i went back to use PSP the other day i couldnt use it properly because it has a lot less features. My point is that you can use PS to create a lot better and more complex things and it is easier to use (IMO) :classic:
    JR

Member #
    Yeah i agree with jravenscroft!
    PS has much more featuresthan PSP.
    i have been using PSP for few months(when i just start designing) and i feel that was best for beginners then after that u move to PS then PS is easy to learn than ever.b'coz PSP is quite similar to PS. Or u can start with PS element that also good for beginner.
    Vu Tuan Phong
    iPhongDesign

http://iphong.com
    http://adstudio1.com

Member #
    linux designer? GIMP was good too! it's powerful and a good start if you are using Linux system.
    Good luck
    Vu Tuan Phong
    iPhongDesign

http://iphong.com
    http://adstudio1.com

Member #
    Going by some polls on official sites, Fireworks MX is better for web design than PS7. It says PS7 is no doubt the leader for magazine/article graphics though. I use Fireworks MX
    I am a 13 year old graphics designer. I would love to make anyone who requests a logo for a price that we can discuss. I have taught myself how to make graphics. I made the winning entry for WebScalpel.com.

Member #
    I like fireworks, it is simpler to use, but you can't do as much with it as you can with photoshop. However, I like Fireworks MUCH better than photoshop for slicing images. The few less steps/windows needed save a lot of time when you're slicing up a design and exporting pieces individually. I don't know how to use either product to it's full capacity yet, I'm only reporting what I've seen in my experience.

Member #
    Gimp is good for it being free though.
    I am a 13 year old graphics designer. I would love to make anyone who requests a logo for a price that we can discuss. I have taught myself how to make graphics. I made the winning entry for WebScalpel.com.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads