Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi all,

I noticed how much advice you were able to give the other guy. SO I was wandering, I found the Photoshop 5.0 LE disc in a old scanner box. Lucky thing as I wanted to create the Lightsaber effect. However all the tutorials are for different versions of Photoshop. SO If anyone has a link that they would like to give me with A Lightsaber tutorial for people with Photoshop 5.0 LE. Or if anyone knows how to do this and would like to share then please do!!

All reply's would be helpful.
    johnnyada1@hotmail.com

I have attached the file of how my lightsaber looks as you can see it lacks a glow.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #
    I don't know how well it would work, but I would try a solid color thick line down the center. Next, copy that layer. Finally, do a gaussian blur on the copied layer. Change the opacity a bit too so it's more transparent.

[edit] Actually, you would have to make the layer that you do the gaussian blur on a bit thicker than the original. Maybe twice as thick. Is this sort of what you want? (Attached)

Member #
    Yeah thanks thats the kind of effect I am looking for.

Member #
    Or, how about this? Lol, basically the same as the other one, but just adds a bit more variety. Feel free to use it for whatever you need!
    Rednerve
    Creative Freelance Design

Member #
    That's actually a really bad light sabre example. You need to draw the line out first, then add glow effects and play with the settings, probably add some blur in as well on a duplicated layer.
    TALKFREELANCE.COM

Over 1,700 members and growing!

Member #
    Which one is bad? I see three of them...

Member #
    The beam on the attached image below was essentially created with the basic technique(s) mentioned earlier. The basic shape was done with the marquee; the selection was then made into a white on black channel and duplicated a few times. The first copy was gaussian blurred by 3 pixels (or so), the second by 9, 18 etc. The channel with the smallest blur is what creates the inner tube.

This created the soft feathered glow; the new selections were used to build up layers of colour. Above layers then had their blend mode changed to pin-light (you can experiment with the others too.) I've never used PS 5.0 LE, but if pin-light isn't available you might be able to get away with 'overlay'.

I can't give you permission to use this example though, as I wasn't responsible for making the grip. It should make a useful reference though.

Member #
    Wow thanks a lot, I will now try and practice them

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Just create a shape, gauss blur it 1.0px, add a bluish/white outer glow with size=50, spread=10%, opacity=60% draw a handle and voila!

(I made the PSD smaller so it was legal file size)

Member #
    Looking closely at screen grab of Star Wars, the actual cutting bit thingy is a gradient (the 'tube' thingy in PS) and the glow is a gaussian blurred version of the same shape but larger.

Remove Ads