Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: workflow?

Member #
    Hello ! Im new to this forum and too webdesign also. So i have some questions.

I work with photoshop and golive. I do design the site in photoshop and then save for web and then open it in go live and rearage it a bit if its necesary. What is a good and quick way for building easy web sites.No flash and something like that. Plain html and some nice graphics. so my questions are ..

- What should be the Canvas size in photoshop for a page viewed in 800x600 and 1024x768 so that it fits into explorer window without resizing.

- I tryed to make a rollover state in image ready but the problem was : i could change the layer style of the text but i couldnt just change the color of the word i tryed to make the rollover. So, drop shadow worked, and easy changing of colors didnt. Any ideas ??

- Im working on a mac and there isnt NetObjects Fusion for MAC. A friend told me that its a great program. Is golive ok? Im having problems putting pictures into the corners, theres some white white borders around the page and i cant get rid of them.

thats all for now.

thanks,
    poison

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    When creating a photoshop original for a site, I usually choose the site width based upon the nearest multiple of 20 or 50 that is more than 16 pixels less than the minimum required resolution I'm designing for.

For instance, If it's 800 x 600, I take 16 pixels off to get 784 wide (to account for scrollbars), and then increment down to 780 or 750 for simpler mathematics. However, if you're a binary freak, you'll love that 784 is 256 x 3, which makes it great for binary mathematics.

If I ever make a site for 1024 x 768 minimum (which is rare), I make it 1000 pixels in width, because it fits both my formulae.

For height, if I restrict a website at all, I'll usually restrict it in two sections, header (banner / nav) and content. The banner / nav is usually limited to 50 - 75 pixels or 60 - 80 pixels, depending on the math that I'm using, and the main content area will be limited to 400, 420, or 450 pixels in height.

Typically in photoshop, I'll work on an 800 x 600 canvas so that I can see my 750px to 780px wide site in context with a small background bordering it. However, I set rulers before I begin drawing the site in to limit my extremities. When I'm ready to slice up the final image, I'll usually flatten it and save it as a BMP (so I have a master flat image of the template at 100% image quality) and begin cutting it up.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Regarding the other stuff, I'm not sure... I've never used any of the "easy" tools, and would probably be utterly confused by them. Sorry!

JR
    Member #
    welcome to WDF poison :classic:,

for the second point are you sure that the text layer wasn't converted to a raster layer and have you tried swapping it to photoshop then changing the colour of the font then swap it back over to imageready.
    JR

Member #
    I made the slices in photoshop and jumped to image ready and when i tryed to change the color the original text changed too, not only the rollover state. I didnt converted anything.

750px x 550x would be ok for a page that doesnt make scroll bars?

Any good pages out there to get some ideas? My problem is, that i work for a printing house and do much great stuff for print and know how to doo it. but for web i want to make a great site but it usualy ends up ****y because i dont know the programs posibilityes.

poison

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Poison, here are two sites I've made at 750 width (and both are around 550 height, also)

http://www.transio.com
    http://www.synthelogic.com

Member #
    Originally posted by poison

- Im working on a mac and there isnt NetObjects Fusion for MAC. A friend told me that its a great program. Is golive ok? Im having problems putting pictures into the corners, theres some white white borders around the page and i cant get rid of them.
    I havent used Golive before i dont know how does it work but Maybe that because the top/left margin,you can change it to 0 so the picture will fit at the corner.
    Maybe this is the only thing i can answer in your question.
    Vu Tuan Phong
    iPhongDesign

http://iphong.com
    http://adstudio1.com

Member #
    Ohh, i managed to make rollovers , but in GoLife .. work ok =)

poison

Remove Ads