Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I don't have too much experience with image transparency... I have a logo (pretty simple, text mainly) which sits on a wht background. However, I'd like to overlay the logo on a portion of my site using z-index and I want the underlying content to show through the white background. How do I do this? I have PSP 9.0. Please advise!

itspersonal5

Member #
    You could try messing around with the opacity. That makes the image more transparent.
    --Kevin
    15" MacBook Pro With: Mac OSX 10.4.11(Tiger) 1440x900 Windows XP SP2 3GB RAM 1TB HDD
    kevind_2007--"Never let the fear of striking out get in your way."--Babe Ruth

Links:Firefox Download||Google|| HTML Help||DHTML|| Web Design Terminology||Good-Tutorials

Member #
    are you trying to do this in photoshop or html? You would probably have to use javascript if you're really intent on that effect.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by itspersonal5
    I don't have too much experience with image transparency... I have a logo (pretty simple, text mainly) which sits on a wht background. However, I'd like to overlay the logo on a portion of my site using z-index and I want the underlying content to show through the white background. How do I do this? I have PSP 9.0. Please advise!

itspersonal5
    Yes, you could fiddle around with opacity, like kevin said...

If you use Photoshop, though, you could recreate the logo on a transparent background, which is a selection, at least in my version...

I have a very old version...Adobe Photoshop Elements One.
    I have seen your future, and I have learned
    There will be no more Sadness. No more Anger. No more Envy.
    I HAVE WON!!!!

Member #
    I think if you just want to throw an image over a background and want the background to show through, you need to export the image in transparent PNG format. However, I believe most browsers do NOT support transparent PNGs. Obviously Flash is always an option, but you must not have it. Other than that, I think you're going to have to ask someone for some scripting help or something like that.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by minger
    I think if you just want to throw an image over a background and want the background to show through, you need to export the image in transparent PNG format. However, I believe most browsers do NOT support transparent PNGs. Obviously Flash is always an option, but you must not have it. Other than that, I think you're going to have to ask someone for some scripting help or something like that.
    What browsers don't?
    I have seen your future, and I have learned
    There will be no more Sadness. No more Anger. No more Envy.
    I HAVE WON!!!!

Member #
    most browser do in fact support png transparency. However, MSIE does not, and require the use of the "alpha image loader". see here for more details: http://www.alistapart.com/articles/pngopacity/

Member #
    I was pretty sure that IE did not support it. Because of that, I assumed that most browsers didn't either. I knew that Firefox did though. Stupid IE.

Member #
    If I understand the question correctly...

Take out the white background of the logo. Assuming there are no gradients from the text to the white background, I'd assume you could save it as a gif if png doesn't work, without much loss of quality.

Now, I'm relatively new to the web design portion of design, but have put many-a-gif up on the web, so take it for what it's worth.

-Magada-

Remove Ads