Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I put together my design in Photoshop and then chopped it up into smaller JPG's and set them up exactly the same using layout tables in Dreamweaver. The pictures look fine in Dreamweaver and when viewed in Photoshop or the preview thing in XP but when you load it up in Internet Explorer, there are green lines at all the points where the images are above, below or right next to each other. You can see the page at http://home.iprimus.com.au/jediwdog/stephens.htm (it's a work in progress but if you wanna gimme some tips that'd be great!)...
    Thanks heaps
    Neil

Member #
    Firstly, I wouldn't be using photoshop's slicing feature, as it makes messy, messy code.

On to the point tho, the lines are image related, not code. So your problem lays with Photoshop.

Make sure there's no layers causing this.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Stylise
    Firstly, I wouldn't be using photoshop's slicing feature, as it makes messy, messy code.

On to the point tho, the lines are image related, not code. So your problem lays with Photoshop.

Make sure there's no layers causing this.
    Thanks for the reply Stylise! Sorry if I seem ignorant but I have a couple of questions...

What is Photoshops slicing feature? All I did was select the areas I want from the larger image and copy them into a new image. Is that what you mean?

When I view the images in Photoshop or in Windows Picture & Fax Viewer the lines don't appear. Do you still think the problem is image related? I suppose it would make more sense. Perhaps it is the way IE views the images? I've saved them as 300 pixels/inch, 8bit, RGB JPEG's if that helps...

Thanks
    Neil

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Well, it's pretty easy. You have green lines in your images:
    http://home.iprimus.com.au/jediwdog/images/gto.jpg
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by hackdesigner
    Thanks for the reply Stylise! Sorry if I seem ignorant but I have a couple of questions...

What is Photoshops slicing feature? All I did was select the areas I want from the larger image and copy them into a new image. Is that what you mean?

When I view the images in Photoshop or in Windows Picture & Fax Viewer the lines don't appear. Do you still think the problem is image related? I suppose it would make more sense. Perhaps it is the way IE views the images? I've saved them as 300 pixels/inch, 8bit, RGB JPEG's if that helps...

Thanks
    Neil
    Oh, sorry. I was under the impression you were using the slice function in Photoshop.

It is image related, try saving in gif. Else, it's a layer that you've over looked.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Brak
    Well, it's pretty easy. You have green lines in your images:
    http://home.iprimus.com.au/jediwdog/images/gto.jpg
    OMG I do too! :speechless: I hadn't tried looking at the individual images in IE... Well it's still not simple really 'cos I don't know how they get there and why they're not showing in other programs.

Thanks to both of you anyways... I'll try saving in GIF and let ya know how I go.

Cheers
    Neil

Member #
    I would use the slice function in Photoshop.

I dont really think the code is sloppy if you do it right. In photoshop... Use the guides to divide the page then press ctrl+shift+M (i think) to jump to Imageready. Then go to Slices, then "create slices from guides". I am not sure, i dont have photoshop in front of me.

I have no clue how those green lines got there, they are in the images, not the HTML. Try to paint the background white, then press ctrl+shift+E to flatten the image. See if the green still shows.
    Nickhead
    musicpitt.net

Member #
    You can just use Photoshop for slices also, without the need for ImageReady. But the html it produces isn't very good. ie. a lot of spacing images.

If you can slice in Photoshop, and then re-create the HTML yourself, then it's fine. I sometimes do that myself.

Member #
    Thanks for the tips everyone... I don't really see the advantage of using this feature though. I didn't have any trouble doing it the way I did it and it was easy to set up using the layout tables in Dreamweaver. I'll give it a go next time anyway...

The green lines must have been due to the way I saved it or some kind of glitch or something. I just saved them again using exactly the same method (I think) and they're not there this time. Sorry to waste everyones time!

Got any tips on how to design this page better while you're here? The company wanted something to go up in the next week and I've only got a few hours a week to work on this stuff so it had to be simple. Any tips would be appreciated!

Cheers
    Neil

Member #
    Stylise, that's the way I do it. If the page is complex it can get kind of gritty.
    Nickhead
    musicpitt.net

Remove Ads