Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Does anyone have any suggestions on how to clear up GIF images and to make them sharper?

I am using gif images on a page that I am developing for links. You can barely read them because they are so jagged. I've tried even saving them through the "Save for Web" in Photoshop 7

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

JR
    Member #
    why not try .jpg?
    JR

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Do you have a sample image so we can see the color palette, design, etc?
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Also, just a word of advice w/o seeing what you're doing, dont put too much text in your images...the text will look clearer if you type it out, plus it will be indexable by search engines, and users will be able to select it to copy/paste.

Member #
    Liked
    197 times
    I usually use GIFs myself for links because they provide a much sharper image on average than JPGs. Some keys to making GIFs less jagged:
    • Use more colors. Increasing color depth of a GIF has a hyperbolic effect on image clarity. This means that the difference between 1 and 8 colors will be 8x as effective as the difference between 8 and 16 colors, and so on. At the same time, increasing color depth doesn't increase file size in proportion to image clarity at low numbers. Use at least 16 to 32 colors for web images. Always use binary (powers of 2) increases in color depth, because you will maximize use of your file size that way.
    • Don't dither. Dithering is the GIF's way of attempting to fake a gradient, and it never looks pretty. If you have to dither (in the cases of photographic or gradient images) you should be using JPGs. If your GIF has color stepping as a result of not dithering, attempt to increase color depth (see above) until you reach a number that looks good.
    • Don't use a "web palette", as some GIF export tools allow you to. Web palettes attempt to anti-alias using the base 256 color palette available to low resolution computers. This will make any image look less than adequate. Always use a "selective palette" when given an option.
    • Slice your images along major color lines. This means that if you have a big red area bordering on a big blue area, make your slice between them. This will optimize the use of your palette for each resulting image.

Hope those help a bit !