Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I made a CD resume in Swish (its like Flash) & I added a button to download my resume from the CD. The resume was made on a PIII 600 with Word 2000. I want my resume to be viewed as easily as possible, are there any compatiblity issues I should be aware of? Does the target user have to have Word 2000? Is there any Flash issues that would cause problems? Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated.

If you need to view my file it is for download at: http://uniteddistributorscanada.hypermart.net/

Thank you

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Make it a PDF: check out http://www.adobe.com/acrobat/ ; at last check they had a free online service that converted most Word files to PDFs. Or *snickers* a Mac can do it right out of the box.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    If the file was made in Word, then most word processing programs will be able to read it, although on some machines the user may have to specify what program to open the file with if they dont have MS Word. I agree w/ filburt, use acrobat to make your resume.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Yep, PDF all the way. Pretty much anything can convert word to pdf now... even php
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    Good suggestion about converting it to pdf file, but wouldnt that mean that the target user has to have adobe acrobat on thier computer, or should I add both Word.doc & pdf file to CD resume presentation. If I add both files (doc & pdf) & a person clicks on a button in my CD presentation that says "Download Resume" how would my Cd presentation know which version to downloadwould to the target users computer, is there some special script to detect if the target user has adobe acrobat or Microsoft Word? Or does it mean I have to create 2 download buttons, 1 for pdf resume & 1 for word resume documents. Im assuming most north american business use MS Word more than adobe acrobat. Sorry if this sounds messed up, now my minds running away. How would you guys set it up?

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I would assume the user has Acrobat - it's one of those standard programs that everyone (should) have. Just add an acrobat installer to the CD presentation and a link on your web....
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    Brak's right - people are more likely to have Acrobat than Word, and if they don't have Acrobat, they can download it for free, unlike Word. I have seen some ppl offer their resumes in two forms (word and pdf), but you'll have to include a button for each type. I am gonna go out on a limb and say that you can't query a user's computer with a script to see what programs they have on their machine.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    You could always save it as a TXT file and add some ASCII art in there ;-)

Remove Ads