Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Hi, I've been designing web layouts with Photoshop for quite some time now but I've been wondering if there is an alternative to Photoshop.
    It's just a huge investment upgrading to each version and the newer versions don't support my platform, Windows 2000.

I'm looking for a package which will match Photoshop's tools for web designing: shapes, paths, gradients, good font tool, transformation tools, good colour management, layer styles, etc.

If anyone can help, I'd be most grateful.

Member #
    Liked
    39 times
    I dont know if it has every feature that photoshop has, but I think that it has all the features you need. Its called Gimp, and there is a modified version called Gimpshop. Gimpshop is about the same as Gimp, but the menus are sorted in the same way as Photoshop.

Member #
    Thanks for your reply but, for me, Gimp doesn't cut it for web design as it doesn't have the same grade of gradient tool or layer styles/effects and doesn't have adequate tools for creating shapes.

Member #
    Liked
    39 times
    It does, it just a bit harder to learn.

Member #
    I'll take your word for it, do you know of any tutorials for the GIMP, specifically for web design? I was unable to find any on Google.

Member #
    Anyone?

Member #
    Here's a post we did on our blog about Paint.net as a Photoshop alternative. It might give you what you are after - and the price is right .

Member #
    Exactly Which Google are you using?

Creating Web 2.0 Graphics In Gimp

Pixel2life : Search results for "GIMP"

21 Web 2.0 tutorials for The GIMP

How to Use GIMP for Photo and Image Editing

Essential GIMP for Web Professionals: A Book Review

PDF FILE Web Page Layouts With the GIMP

Unsleepable Title Graphic Using GIMP "Unsleepable uses a graphic for its blog header, and you can find a tutorial (by Ben himself) on how to create the graphic using Photoshop.

Hey! I canít afford Photoshop. (And neither can any of my friends!). I have always done using GIMP whatever I had to do using Photoshop. So, I tried, and I hope you can see my title graphic on the top of this page."

Quick Guide to The GIMP - Part 1: Basic Tools & Program Layout

Creating Icons
    covers gradients

Introduction to the Gradient Editor

Creating a futuristic city in GIMP
    with gradients

Learn to create custom gradients in the GIMP

Complex gradients with Warp

Create a Complete Website using GIMP

Creating Apple's "Shiny Table" Effect

Google result for the phrase "GIMP tutorials" = 3 Million Hits Plus

Google Search resulst for GIMP tutorials for Web Design

The real issue is GIMP is not Photoshop. You can do a lot in GIMP which provide a comparable end result -- but that's not what people want. People expect GIMP to be a free version of PhotoShop, and that it is not.

And when people find they actually have to learn how to use GIMP, they somehow feel shortchanged. They expected something for nothing ..and that's not what they got.

GIMP is free -- but it'll cost you.

I've used, roughtly speaking, Twenty graphics programs and a great many word processors. Most people have never heard of many of the programs, like Fauve Matisse or Framework. Unfortunately, people stopped being computer users and became Word users and PhotoShop users. Which is fine, they're top of their class.

But as fine as it is, it is also disturbing. Much like a highly specialized animal which depends on exactly one food source, if anything in the environment happens to change, they're toast. Too many people think knowing three or five singular apps means you "know" spreadsheets, or word processors, or computers.

Well, people who know "graphics programs" understand there is more than one.

Pick up a CAD program. Download Inkscape and or Sodipodi. Google, download and checkout ArtRage. Learn Gimp. Not because it's easy, but because it is survival-positive. And not because GIMP is going to somehow wipe out PhotoShop. It's about being flexible, not correctly guessing the "right" application through herd instinct.

Then again, you can always check out GIMPshop -- which again is not GIMP made into PhotoShop -- but GIMP with PhotoShop user training wheels.

Member #
    Well, I found Inkscape and it seems great for web design, thanks for your help.

Paint.NET doesn't work on Linux, can't get it to work with mono.

Member #
    I guess my question is why are you still using Win2K?

You shouldn't "have to" keep upgrading to each version. PS7 works as well as any of the CS versions.......in terms of not wanting to upgrade.
    GMan

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads