Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hello whoever may be reading this post!
    I'm slightly above the novice level when it comes to web design, even more novice with graphics design. I see many sites that seem to have these extremely clean cut, sharp, detailed graphics. For example, www.sun.com. I make buttons using Photoshop and Paint.NET but I can never seem to accomplish the same kind of quality that I've seen on other sites. If someone could give me some tips or a reference for a better program, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Member #
    You should be able to get clean graphics in most any program.

One thing you could try is vector based graphics. To try an see if this give better results, start with Inkscape. Vector illustrations usually have a clean look.

I'm hardly the expert on Paint.net. However, looking over some of the examples, it may be your technique.

Especially with graphics and 'creative' programs, people attribute to the tool pseudo magical properties. And of course people become "toolist." ...It would be hard for me to imagine Van Gogh getting into an argument about oil versus acrylic. Graphics will gain something when people drop tool-centric thinking and this week's mandatory "clean glossy" gimmick.

The problems usually happen at the other end of the paint brush.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by DC856
    You should be able to get clean graphics in most any program.

One thing you could try is vector based graphics. To try an see if this give better results, start with Inkscape. Vector illustrations usually have a clean look.

I'm hardly the expert on Paint.net. However, looking over some of the examples, it may be your technique.

Especially with graphics and 'creative' programs, people attribute to the tool pseudo magical properties. And of course people become "toolist." ...It would be hard for me to imagine Van Gogh getting into an argument about oil versus acrylic. Graphics will gain something when people drop tool-centric thinking and this week's mandatory "clean glossy" gimmick.

The problems usually happen at the other end of the paint brush.
    Thanks a lot for the suggestions. I downloaded InkScape and it looks like a well put together program. I'll have to find some time to learn the environment. I also agree with your comment about my technique because I'm still learning how to do graphics and the tricks and what not. In reference to InkScape, is there any quirks or button making tips you could give me to save the hassle?

Member #
    I would suggest you try finding an inkscape button tutorial.

Member #
    It would be nice if you could post some examples of graphics you are already making, so we can give you more specific tips.

Common mistakes:
    - Not (or over) antialiasing. I see this on your site's logos.
    - Bad compression choices. For few colors use PNG (or GIF), for many use JPEG.
    - Overusing effects. Drop shadows, for example, are best when they are low opacity, are close to the object, and don't spread too far. (I use a distance of 1, spread of 4, and 20% opacity as a baseline) Same goes for bevels.
    - Maintain clarity and contrast. The buttons are bad because most of it is for the bevel effect, not the text (which should be the focus). The bevels use a lot of contrast too.

Remember - contrast is key. Give contrast to what deserves it, and lower contrast to what doesn't. Decorations do not need contrast. Overdoing is more common that underdoing, when it comes to computers.
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Member #
    If you are talking about text in graphics, it sometimes helps to export as a gif instead of jpg if the background behind the text is not too complex (such as a photo). And if you are talking about navigation buttons, again export as gif, not jpg.
    2Shea Creative Graphic Design

Dull pencils make dull drawings

Member #
    Try these great css nav designs http://www.highdots.com/css-tab-designer/

Remove Ads