Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    What book can... detail the production process of modern day web graphics (stylish buttons, headers, container boxes) and all the other subtle design touches that make a contemporary site. I'm super tired of coming across books that offer generic pill-shaped buttons or how to bevel and emboss navigation or create tabs or some other more antiquated design elements.

I am looking for a book that will primarily use Photoshop or Fireworks.

Thanks.

Member #
    Most Photoshop books are about how to use the software. Maybe you should be looking for a DESIGN book.

In other words, knowing a software and having an aesthetic are completely independent.
    Shani

I have an eye for detail like you'd never believe.

Member #
    If you’re creative then the only thing that stands in your way is the technological aspect – being able to use Photoshop, which is the definitive design software on the planet... along with Illustrator. I don’t know your level of expertise with these programs so excuse me if I’m being a little patronising. If you would like to know how to make web graphics that make people sh*t their pants with excitement then you’ll master these 2 programs... if anyone says otherwise they need physically enlightening.

Books are a load of crap when you want to learn something like design. Photoshop is your main objective here, the newer the version the better, I use CS3. Go here http://www.lynda.com/ Look for training videos on Photoshop CS3 with “Deke McClelland”. This guy is very good at teaching Photoshop. I don’t care if you’ve been using design programs for 20 years, this guy will teach you something that you didn’t know. I can tell from your post you’re intelligent so it will be really easy for you follow along.

Fireworks is a good program but it doesn’t have to level of control you’re looking for. Anything designed in Photoshop can easily be imported into Fireworks.

Check out the link, get the tutorials and don’t listen to anyone that may contradict my post. The DVD’s Lynda.com have are really good... and no, I don’t work for them. In fact PM me and I’ll give you some information that I cannot make public, information that will save you a boat load of money.

Good Luck!

Ps. Photoshop’s “Layer Style Blending Options” is what you need to concentrate on for making fancy web buttons, headers, container boxers. If you would like any more design related information, just ask.

Member #
    Something I forgot to mention is that the DVD tutorials will teach you creative techniques, not just how to use the program. One of their DVD’s I have is called “Illustrator CS2 Creative Techniques”. It’s very good for beginners and advanced people. The tutorials will cover some very useful skills that you can apply to many different things.

The guy I mentioned before, Deke McClelland. His tutorials are based more on how the programs work and how to use them correctly. Learning his tutorials will open up new ideas for you and get your creative juices flowing. The creative techniques DVD’s actually tell you how to make certain effects, like glass, water, metallic etc. I know of 2 DVD’s called “Photorealism with Bert Monroy” (volume 1 & 2) I have both of these and I have to admit while they are pretty good I’d only use them If you’re an advanced user of Photoshop. I've not looked at them thoroughly but I reckon he’ll teach you how to design something that’s a little more appealing than a gel button.

Member #
    I really enjoy reading photoshop creative and photoshop advanced magazines. Although they don't go over everything, they do go over alot of intricate stuff step by step to help get your feet wet. They mainly go over graphics but they do occasionally go over web design. Another good one is Layers magazine, it goes over everything adobe and often has a section about web design in there.

Remove Ads