Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi Everyone I am new and this is my first thread so excuse my etiquette if I have made any mistakes whilst posting.
    I have been using this tutorial for ideas and being a newbie I am stuck.
    This is the link and I am stuck about a third of the way down where it asks me to make triangular selection on the banner.
    http://www.webdesign.org/web/photosh...ate.16864.html
    How do I do this?
    Thanks for all your help.
    Alan.

Member #
    The easiest way would be to do this:

In the layers panel, CTRL-click (or CMD-click if you're on a Mac) the layer thumbnail of the rounded rectangle to make it a selection.

You should see the marching ants traveling around your rounded rectangle.

Now select the polygon lasso tool and choose the "Intersect with Selection" button which is the last of the four selection buttons in the polygon lasso toolbar. Use the polygon lasso tool to draw the triangle and you should be left with your triangular selection.

Member #
    To further clarify, when using the polygon lasso tool to make an intersecting selection, what you are doing is saying:

I like what I have selected, but I only want part of it...so I am going to use this polygon lasso tool to show you, oh photoshop, what part of the selection I want to keep.

Therefore, you can select well beyond the limits of the rounded rectangle selection all except for the hypotenuse of the triangle which should be in it's proper location. Everything that is part of the current selection that ends up within the polygon, will remain. Photoshop will ignore everything else.

Member #
    Tryed to get it to select the layer but didnt work and could not get ants to march so tryed to make a new layer and do it that way but that did not work. Also tried to do it with out it being selected but when I filled it with paint it all went white.

Please Help, what am I doing wrong, btw I am using windows not Mac if any help.

Member #
    CTRL-click the layer thumbnail, select the polygon lasso tool and change the selection mode to subtract from selection or alternatively and hold in ALT while selecting. Now select the opposite of what u want to select basically e.g u want a triangle in the top so subtract select a triangle in the bottom. Ravenjeff's method works perfectly as well but i just do it this way. Oh and remember that when you fill the selection with white, make sure u do it in a new layer so that u can play around with the opacity and such until it is at a level that suits u.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by alanjamesmartin
    Hi Everyone I am new and this is my first thread so excuse my etiquette if I have made any mistakes whilst posting.
    I have been using this tutorial for ideas and being a newbie I am stuck.
    This is the link and I am stuck about a third of the way down where it asks me to make triangular selection on the banner.
    http://www.webdesign.org/web/photosh...ate.16864.html
    How do I do this?
    Thanks for all your help.
    Alan.
    If all you are trying to do is make a triangle shaped selection outline you don’t need to mess with any subtract nonsense.

What I would do is this:

Click on the “Paths” palette and create a new path – get your pen tool and click where you want the selection to start,(I’d start with the bottom left corner of the triangle).

Now press and hold “Shift” while you click with the pen tool so you draw a straight vertical line – keep “Shift” held down and click again to the far right,(i.e. where you want the triangle to end) This will draw another straight line horizontally.

All you have to do now is join the path together - you do that by clicking on the anchor point that you started with.

You’ll now have a triangle made from a simple path, just “ctrl” click its icon in the “Paths” palette to activate the selection. Go back to your layers palette make a new layer and fill the selection with white, turn the opacity down to 2%.

Using a path is better because you’ll always have the selection there to use again should you mess the triangle up in your Layers palette.

Remove Ads