Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    hi

Im designing a site in Photoshop through a tutorial, and have got 40 or so layers so far.
    I now want to make a selection around my logo at the top of the page
    and copy and paste it, and all background layers underneath it to another position at the bottom of the page.
    It tells me i cant as i have multiple layers selected.

The tutuorial doesnt explain on how to perform this particular action.
    Is there a way of doing this. Its kind of like taking a screenshot of a snippet of your
    screen, but in photoshop and then moving it to another position.

cheers

andy

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyE31
    hi

Im designing a site in Photoshop through a tutorial, and have got 40 or so layers so far.
    I now want to make a selection around my logo at the top of the page
    and copy and paste it, and all background layers underneath it to another position at the bottom of the page.
    It tells me i cant as i have multiple layers selected.

The tutuorial doesnt explain on how to perform this particular action.
    Is there a way of doing this. Its kind of like taking a screenshot of a snippet of your
    screen, but in photoshop and then moving it to another position.

cheers

andy
    Kind of hard to say without seeing. Does it have a solid background color? you should be able to put just the layers that make up your logo in a group, the just select the group folder, make your selection, and move it. Or duplicate the group and move that, but like I said, hard to tell without actually seeing it. Can you post a link to the tutorial?
    Semantic, Valid, and Accessible Design!

Member #
    hi jyuill
    this is the website tutorial on what im trying to do.
    At the bottom of the tutorial you will find the finished website.
    Youll see what i mean when you see the final screen shot. The logo title and all layers underneath it have been copied and pasted into the bottom right hand corner of the web page.
    heres the link -
    http://hv-designs.co.uk/2009/01/27/design-lab-layout/

cheers

andy

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyE31
    hi jyuill
    this is the website tutorial on what im trying to do.
    At the bottom of the tutorial you will find the finished website.
    Youll see what i mean when you see the final screen shot. The logo title and all layers underneath it have been copied and pasted into the bottom right hand corner of the web page.
    heres the link -
    http://hv-designs.co.uk/2009/01/27/design-lab-layout/

cheers

andy
    I am sure a Photoshop guru has a much better answer. I use Photoshop, but there is so much more that I need to learn! I just tried this out, and I put all of my logo layers in a group, made my selction, duplicated the group, merged the group, and was able to move it. It looks like in your case, you will also have to scale your selection and give it a stroke, which you would do after moving.
    Semantic, Valid, and Accessible Design!

Member #
    I’m always late!

Anyway, I’m not entirely sure what you’re going for here but I’ll try and answer.

If you want to take a screenshot of your composition and bounce it to another layer use the following shortcut, Press and hold: Cmd + Opt +Shift +E or on the PC: Ctrl + Alt + Shift +E. This will merge and copy all your layers, don’t worry about all your layers becoming one, that would only happen if you press Cmd + Shift + E. Remember the shortcut is “merge and copy visible”, if you want just the background layers and not your logo in this “screenshot” just turn the visibility off in the logo layer in the layers palette. You’ll now have all the layers that were visible on one layer, plus all your other layers will be untouched.

The good why of copying your logo would be to select it in the layers palette and press Cmd + J or Ctrl + J on the PC , this will copy the entire layer. You can also just drag whichever layer you want copying to the “Create new Layer” icon at the bottom of the layers palette.

Another option to copy multiple layers to 1 layer is this: Select all the layers you want to combine in your layer palette – go to “Layer” in the menu, select “Smart Objects”, than select “Convert to Smart Object”. This is a better option than just merging layers because if you decide to resize the image you won’t lose any quality. Not many people realise that resizing images will ruin the image quality, even if you don’t exceed the images original size. You can convert just one layer to a Smart object too. Cmd + Click on the layer or Right click will also reveal this option. This is the best why work - it will look like everything is on one layer but by double clicking on its icon on the layers palette you’ll be taken into separate document with all the layers that made this 1 layer... if that makes sense. There’s more to Smart Objects than this I’m just making it simple to understand... or trying to.

Hope this helps... a month later.

Remove Ads