Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hello,
    I am starting to design the graphical aspects of my site, how it looks in general, button, menus, graphics etc... At this stage, I am not thinking about any animation, except maybe just buttons. My post is not necessarily about photoshop but graphic design in general.
    1-Where should I start? My goal is to add some cool looking buttons, menus, and also in general the site to look tidy and professional.
    2-What are the most professional or easiest ways to draw pictures and come up with nice graphics for your website?
    3-Is photoshop something only for editing existing photos, or can you draw with it? What does it do exactly or what are the most useful features? It looks like the most popular graphics program around, I am wondering the reasons...
    Please advise in general about graphic design and other than my questions feel free to respond with any input as I am a beginner on graphics and any info is welcome....

Member #
    Try a trial version of Photoshop. Search Photoshop buttons, photoshop web design, photoshop drawing...there are millions of tutorials. Photoshop is awesome for pretty much anything you can dream of. This is my favorite example of what you can do with photos. This is one of my many favorite tutorial resources for PS, they are high quality. If you want to draw with it, you are going to want tutorials for the pen tool...that is the trickiest part of Photoshop IMO.
    Semantic, Valid, and Accessible Design!

Member #
    Photoshop is a very powerful tool for graphic designers. I've been using Photoshop for several years and I've only touched on the full potential of the software. If you are serious about doing any graphic design you will need to learn Photoshop.

1. Learn Photoshop
    2. Learn Photoshop
    3. Learn Photoshop
    My software never has bugs... It just has random features.
    Professional Website Design | Web Site Hosting
    The Green Speak Network | Live Green Forum

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Try to find video lessons; it is easier to learn something when you see it.

Member #
    1-Where should I start? My goal is to add some cool looking buttons, menus, and also in general the site to look tidy and professional.
    Start by dropping the focus on cool. All cool hunting does is brand you a faddish bandwagon chaser, at best. Uncreative, yes. Professional? Not really.

Have you ever seen a middle aged man with a combover trying to look like he's twenty? ...if that's "professional," then by all means go chase PhotoShop fads.

Professional happens after you kill off the uncool compulsion to be cool. Even "cool people" don't concern themselves with what's cool -- they just are.

1. Learn Photoshop
    2. Learn Photoshop
    3. Learn Photoshop
    No. No. NO. First drop the mythology PhotoShop makes you into a graphic designer simply by knowing what's in the dropdowns. We've gotten to the point of "drinking and smoking makes you cool" with PhotoShop ...it should be likewise regulated as a mind altering substance by the FDA.

To combat this I recommend taking an art course ...that specifically isn't on the computer. Hand Drawing. Oil. Perhaps watercolor.

Lean everything PhotoShop absolutely Does Not Do. Namely the entire fields of art and design. (two different fields) And only Then go learn PhotoShop commands.

All learning PhotoShop does these days is mark you as having zero interest in art or design.

2-What are the most professional or easiest ways to draw pictures and come up with nice graphics for your website?
    Based on taking that you mean easy seriously, hire someone who knows PhotoShop does not "come up with" graphics for your website. If you can't pre PhotoShop ...you won't after.

Next easiest is find a free set of graphics and download them. Third easiest -- only for the step of whipping out your credit card and navigating a checkout -- is a paid download.

Word processors don't come up with novels or even articles. There is no "fine writing" in the dropdowns of Word. Yet while people feel that's perfectly obvious for word processors, they don't detect the slightest contradiction thinking there's must be a Draw Medieval Style buried in a PhotoShop dropdown ....somewhere.

A hammer doesn't make you a professional carpenter. It has yet to be comprehended possessing a copy of PhotoShop does not make you a designer.

What does it do exactly or what are the most useful features? It looks like the most popular graphics program around, I am wondering the reasons...
    If I had to guess, PhotoShop's most popular feature is hallucinogenic. Why was LSD popular? Because "hey, everyone's doing it."

Once I happened upon a house party and listened in on stoners talking about unidentified flying objects, their theories and conjecture. If you can imagine how that sounded to someone who isn't stoned out their mind, then you have the full PhotoShop experience. You will find all the PhotoShop discussion suddenly makes sense once you partake, but that doesn't mean much in reality.

PhotoShop is popular for the same reason a 500 piece Craftsman tool set is popular. Professionals like it because it has extremely narrow tools for getting an extremely narrow piece of a task done. ....It does not complete the task for you.

People who've never seen PhotoShop think there's a big red button marked "Draw Cool Stuff." And they open the program, see something akin to the flight deck of the space shuttle, and go ..."Holy **** ...whadaIdonow?!?!"

PhotoShop Does Not "Do" photo retouching. You do, through a knowledge of a dozen tools -- used in a precise sequence. And two photo retouchers can use a slightly different set of tools and commands, each with their own, different sequence.

PhotoShop Does Not "Do" drawing. Any more than oil paint applies itself to a canvas to create a painting. You can draw something -- by hand. Scan it into a computer. And then apply the tools you find within PhotoShop over several hours of meticulous work to create an illustration.

(That it only takes several hours may take you three or four years of working with PhotoShop to figure out. And that's what nobody will tell you. ...Pretty much like they don't tell women much about child birth.)

If that's what you're after, go buy PhotoShop. The expense of it will get you through the next two years banging your head against it.

Maybe the key feature is the expense keeps people from giving up on it before they reach their goals.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    yeah, what dc said. lmao. dc you are the man.

while($get_it !== true){ continue; }

Member #
    wow that is some really good info thanks!

Member #
    I think photoshop works best combined with other Adobe products like illustrator and fireworks. The best way to get to grips with it is play all day every day, trying to do tutorials and then designing things yourself. If you come up with a problem, google it and you should (eventually) find your answer.

As they say practice makes perfect. Once you have photoshop down, you will be able to create great things, but it would be best to get all of the adobe design products down to get the full experience and possiliblites from the products.

Ha! I say that but i'm still nowhere near as the products these days have so many features and endless possibilities.
    Ali Hitch

Portfolio & Tutorial Site
    www.alihitch.com

Remove Ads