Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Member #
    I have a simple flash made from SWiSH.

It's funny because here's the code when I pasted my simple little flash into Dreamweaver MX:

Code:
    <object classid="clsid:166B1BCA-3F9C-11CF-8075-444553540000"
    codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/director/sw.cab#version=8,5,0,0"
    width="111" height="67">
        <param name="src" value="images/capoart.swf">
        <embed src="images/capoart.swf"
            pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/"
    width="111" height="67"></embed>
      </object>
    cab#version=8,5,0,0

uh, yeah, okay.

First off, is there any way I can find out what the minimum flash version needed is for my simple little swf?

Second, I definately do not want my visitors to be hijacked into getting the latest version of flash just to visit my site. (I was previewing the page in IE 6 and macromedia still wanted to take me to the download site.)

I tried changing the cab#version to 4,0,0,0 and still it tries to take me there. Is anyone familiar with bypassing this MM-download hijacking of your website and if so how'd you do it.

I'd probably get rid of the pluginspage line, but it's kind of hard for me to tell if it works because I was dumb enough to go along with downloading the latest version. DOH!
    ~ mikeycorn
    With over 72,000 questions worth of user submitted quizzes, it's the world's most popular quiz creation software:
    PEST - The Personal Exam Self-Tester

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    When you're saving your swf file there is a dropdown box that says what version to save the flash in. If the <object> tag does not tell the version - the .swf will, which I am guessing is your problem.
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    From SWiSH there's a dropdown box? Okay, let me try that, thanks.
    ~ mikeycorn
    With over 72,000 questions worth of user submitted quizzes, it's the world's most popular quiz creation software:

Member #
    No dropdown in swish, but here's a good little bit from the help file:

SWiSH (v1.x and v2.0) creates flash format files (.swf) for playback on the world wide web. They are mostly compatible with the Flash 3 player, and entirely compatible with the Flash 4 and Flash 5 player. Since version 4 of the Netscape Navigator and Microsoft Internet Explorer browsers, such players have been built in (and users usually do not need to download a player).

Alright, so I'm good with version 4, but I still have to figure out how to bypass the macromedia download attempt.
    ~ mikeycorn

Member #
    If you post a link to your page, we can let you know if we get prompted to download the plugin.

Member #
    Damn, you guys are helpful, thanks.

http://www.vellosoft.com/sjcart/index.html
    ~ mikeycorn

Member #
    I just went to that page, but I didn't see any flash. Where is it?

Member #
    According to the source, it's embedded at the bottom of the nav page, but I can't see anything there either.

However, a popup box did appear telling me that there was a newer version of shockwave available (not explicitly telling me to get it to view the page though), and I dismissed it
    Hardly the sharpest thing in the drawer.
    Design | Life | Outdoors | Ryukin Radio

Member #
    I must be slipping, that's the second time today you've viewed the source and I haven't bluntknife.

Now I see the code, and while I don't see the flash, I didn't get prompted to install a new flash player.

Member #
    Geez, I've gotta figure out what I'm doing wrong. All I wanted was some flash, just some simple little flash!!!

Oh yeah, had this thought before I crashed last night, it shows on Mozilla but not on IE and I remember a message somewhere where some browsers need the .swf file in the same directory as the page itself . . . I'll be back.
    ~ mikeycorn

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads