Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: text effects

Member #
    HI,

I need some graphics help if someone can show me a tutorial on how to make text like the attached!

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by foodbiz
    HI,

I need some graphics help if someone can show me a tutorial on how to make text like the attached!

Thanks
    I’d defiantly use Illustrator for creating text like that. You need to be focusing on the Appearance palette and techniques using the Pathfinder, Envelope Distort and the Pen tool. Best tutorials are from Lynda.com, there’s one called “Illustrator CS2 Creative Techniques” by Ted LoCascio. The DVD tutorials from this one are perfect for what you desire. It’s $99 to buy but I’m sure it could be attained free of charge somewhere on the internet. If you go to the website the first few tutorials are free. Here’s the link: http://www.lynda.com/home/DisplayCourse.aspx?lpk2=234

If you need more technical Illustrator training try the One-on-One series with Deke McClelland.

This is the 5th time this week I’ve plugged Lynda.com... I don’t work for them.

Member #
    Thanks, I will try some of their tutorials and see if I can get anywhere....

Member #
    I figured out how to do everything except for that star shaped figure in the middle...

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by foodbiz
    I figured out how to do everything except for that star shaped figure in the middle...
    Take a look at the attached file – this is how I did it.

Create a star using the star tool but when you start to drag hold down Ctrl or Cmd on the Mac and you’ll notice that it will resize the star from the points and not the centre, this lets you control how fat or thin the spindles will be. Make the star quite fat, as in short spindles. Also, pressing the up or down arrows on your keyboard while the mouse button is held down will increase or decrease the amount of spindles on the star.

Next, go to the Effect menu or Filters depending on which version of Illustrator you’re using and chose – Distort and Transform – Pucker and Bloat. Drag across to Pucker, make sure you have preview checked in the dialogue box and you’ll see the changes in real-time. All you have to do now is use your own discretion and that’s about it. All I did then was add a few effects like drop shadow and tweak a few of the anchor points using the direct selection tool. If you want to edit the points further I’d Expand the Appearance, that’s under the object menu.

You’ll notice I have gradients on the stokes. You can’t apply gradients to strokes until you go to Object – Path - Outline Stroke. Make sure you have the path selected before you do this.

I did that in under a minute.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #
    NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are the man

Member #
    thank you! this one's i've been tryin got figure out myself

Remove Ads