Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi everyone, havent been on for a short while, hope you are all ok. Here is my problem guys and gals, I am following a tutorial on the web and i cannot seem to get past a step of said tutorial.
    This is the tutorial http://www.designers-chair.com/2009/...b-page-layout/ I am stuck on step 4. I believe I am following steps correctly but at step 4 it will not work and inverse so that the shine shows up. I am still a noob so it may be summat simple for all you guys.

If it helps I am using CS4 for this and am wondering if I should be doing something different using this version to get the desired effect

Hope ya can help everyone.

Thankyou

Alan

Member #
    The tutorial is pretty self explanatory, if I tell you how to do this Iíd just be repeating what is written in the tutorial. Youíll have to be a little more descriptive if you want a solution. What is happening when you do step 4 in the tutorial?

Member #
    After creating the elliptical shape with the tool and filling it with #ffffff, i ctrl+d it and then i select the header layer and it doesnt let me inverse it from there

Member #
    Done it again exactly as it says and it doesnt work!!!!!

Does not let me select as just the header layer and inverse it

Member #
    Hey alanmartin2009

this is the procedure :
    - create the elliptical shape and fill it with #FFFFFF, press CRTL+D
    - select layer "header" from the right menu while holding CTRL
    if you just click on it, it will be selected but you need to LOAD THE SELECTION of that layer, that's why you need to hold CTRL
    - if you did this correct, layer "header" should have white lines around it (like this one http://www.designers-chair.com/image...20selected.jpg)
    - NOW try to inverse that selection
    - then click once on elliptical layer and press delete on your keyboard

Let me know if this helps....

Member #
    Yes, after you explaining about loading selections what i did was did all steps to selecting layer"header" whilst holding control then when i went to select>load selection and did it that way instead and followed final steps to complete.

Big Big Thankyou for your time and effort with my problem

Alan

p.s How do I resolve this now so that everyone doesnt keep answering?

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Designers Chair
    Hey alanmartin2009

this is the procedure :
    - create the elliptical shape and fill it with #FFFFFF, press CRTL+D
    - select layer "header" from the right menu while holding CTRL
    if you just click on it, it will be selected but you need to LOAD THE SELECTION of that layer, that's why you need to hold CTRL
    - if you did this correct, layer "header" should have white lines around it (like this one http://www.designers-chair.com/image...20selected.jpg)
    - NOW try to inverse that selection
    - then click once on elliptical layer and press delete on your keyboard

Let me know if this helps....
    This is more or less exactly what the tutorial says!? ďWhile holding CTRLĒ is highlighted in the tutorial... which is just a quick way of loading selections.

The tutorial isnít very good anyway, there are much better ways of creating fancy web graphics. Iíd consider that way to be cutting corners.

Member #
    Iíve just realised this is your tutorial Designers Chair.:-!

Sorry if I offended you by saying itís not very good! I just mean there are better, more efficient ways to create the desired effect.

Member #
    Hahaha! No problem man

I've received a lot of positive feedback so one bad comment does not make a difference

Remove Ads