Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Sorry if I haven't posted this in the right place, but this section seemed to be ok.

I'm doing a powerpoint presentation for school, and I'm including screen captures of a movie. This presentation is going to be on a LCD projector, so I want high quality images. So I was wondering what is the best format to use? I'm thinking of either TIFF or PNG.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    JPEG is usually the way to go for pictures. High quality is a matter of high resolution and using the highest quality/lowest compression with JPEGs. A PNG file will be lossless, but honestly the screencap will already be lossy (as it was encoded to begin with, probably in a lossy format) and JPEG is designed to cause degradation in places the human eye will least notice on a photograph.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Yes, I agree. JPEG is the best choice.

Member #
    The only reason I ever use PNG it seems is when I want a higher quality photo to have transparency. Ideally with logos and things of that nature. The other posts on here were right on. High quality jpeg would probably be your best bet.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Although keep in mind that unless you're isolating a specific part of a photo for transparency, it might still be a better idea to use JPEG and then apply the transparency client-side using CSS (or, if you're using PPT, using its tools; it probably has a way to fade something, I know for sure Keynote does). That way you keep the excellent JPEG file size while keeping your transparency.

Remove Ads