Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hello, I am trying to make 8x10 image (a poster with collage pictures in it) in Photoshop, and I want to get this image printed through Wal-Mart on 8x10 paper. When viewed at 100% the image seems very large. I am not sure if this image when printed will be the exact 8x10 or if it would be larger than that. I can't figure out the right image size / pixels to set the image to get a coordinating 8x10.

Here is Image size:

Document size:
    W: 8 inches
    H: 10 inches

Pixel dimensions:
    W: 1600 pixels
    H: 2000 pixels

Resolution: 200 pixels/inch

How can I make sure that I have the 8x10 image that gets printed exactly without any automatic cropping by the printing dimensions? Could anyone please help me out? Thanks!

Member #
    The easiest way to do this is to use the crop tool. Set your size in the tool bar at the top (Width, height & DPI) then drag the crop over your photo. You will be able to see the exact size this way with no guessing.

Member #
    just make sure you r image fits the the whole document size and you should be set

Member #
    From my experience in printing from documents created in PS (or any other package for that matter), I have found that one of the most important things to focus on is ratio!

To answer your question directly I would suggest that you simply create a new document specifying the exact document dimensions you are going to print to.

This obviously will create a very large document in PS, but you will get the desired result after print. If you are not happy creating such a large doc, then this is where the aspect ratio is important. As OWD mentioned, you can specify the 'size' in the crop tool. (IE 8 : 10 in this case). Further to this, as long as your document has a ratio of 8:10, you should find that your printed document will not be cropped or have any borders.

I hope this makes sense and helps somewhat.

Member #
    200 ppi is to low, go for at least 300 for good prints. Nothing matters except the dimensions, 8x10 image will be 8x10 at walmart, of course if you want quality you want a high ppi. Some printers require bleed, but that isn't the situation here. Simply up-scaling the image to a higher ppi will not help much, it needs to come out of the camera that way.

Member #
    If you are trying to view an image with the resolution set at anything above, I believe its, 72dpi for a MAC and 96dpi for a PC it will always look larger on screen. You have more pixels to display so the image will always look larger.

Remove Ads