Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Okay well let me say I have a decent knowledge of HTML/CSS/Javascript/programming in general. I have never used any program like photoshop before. In my case I am actually going to be using Inkscape. Anyways my confusion is how you actually use photoshop to make the website...

so are people that make photoshop websites websites literally just 1 big image??? Do they just have the image of the website that they made in photoshop displayed then just do an image map?

I've tried looking at tutorials and I see people saying slice up the site into pieces then put the seperate pieces of the site into a table...I dont get this approach what would seperating the image do? Why not just keep it as one image?

If I did anything like the slicing approach I guess I would probably use CSS positioning to position things but still I am just confused on what to do once I actually create my "web site" in a graphics program like INKscape or photoshop.

EDIT:
    oh yes any my final thoughts/questions that I forgot are if people do just have a website of images...won't this cause big problems if the images or an image don't display??? Won't this cause problems from search engine indexing if there is no text...just text on an image?

oh and just for clarification when i say a website of images or a website with an image I mean the actual big image of the website/layout made in photoshop or Inkscape.

Thanks!

Member #
    You can think of using photoshop as a sort of scratchpad, an area where you can get your ideas down on the computer screen.

When creating the actual "big image" on photoshop, you need to keep your css tools in mind.

At the end of the creative process, you will start to construct the website in html and css using the photoshop document as a reference.

There will be times when you need to slice out part of the photoshop template and use them on the site. EX: Logo's, repeating gradient backgrounds etc..

I hope this helped..

Member #
    There are 3 reasons you want to slice the images up and put them in tabels rather than having one big image.

1. When they images are cut up and optimized individually they load much faster for visitors.
    2. When one of your sections is just a color, you can replace the image with a css style.
    3. When a repeating pattern is used a very small image with css can be used to fill a whole background rather than one image which is VERY slow.

ALSO. When you have set it up in tabels you have the option of not doing your text as images, which helps greatly in your search engine results and viewers you come to your website in mobile browsers.

Remove Ads