Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Hey all. Im new here, also im new in design atleast i dont do anything with websites from 5 years ago.

Well the thing is i saw a lot of cool sites and i wonder what kind of software or method are using right now to do it. This are the kid of site im searching to build:

PwnStar Gaming - News
    IVGrafix Template V4 - News
    IVGrafix Template V4 - News

So i really apreciate if u can help on this, what kind of software, tools, method, domains, etc. I was a helper of a designer way back on college. So i wanna learn now how to do it, and how to do it right. Thx for reading.

Member #
    First thing is buy or find you some html, css, javascript books and start reading. Also if find you an html editor so you can start writing code. There are free ones out there you can start with. I use adobe dreamweaver, photoshop, indesign, illustrator, flash, and some of the other adobe products. Those can get expensive so start off small and then once to are comfortable coding progress to other software

Member #
    Hey ty for reply!

I cant do this kind of website with a layout design on photoshop and then turn it to html? Thats what i have in mind... but idk if thats the way to do it...

I had photoshop borrowed from a friend so i was thinking in use it. So i was wondering methods, tutorials an things like that to start with good step.

Any suggestions? :-[

Note: Sry ma bad english.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    That's one way to do it. Photoshop has the ability to Slice images and export them using the Save For Web option in the File menu.

Whatever you do, don't use the Photoshop HTML code that it generates. Just slice the images and code it yourself. Their HTML code is just awful.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Also if find you an html editor so you can start writing code
    yes. depend on a program that writes bloated and not cross browser compatible code so you can come back and ask why it doesn't work. that is some crap advice dude.

learn to write code. get a template and pull it up with firebug to play with the code till you get the hang of it. then you will be ready. slicing images is bad unles it is one slice used to repeat by the browser. if it is sliced and used to reconstruct a larger image, each slice requires an http request and slows down your load time. instead, learn how to use photoshop to compress and optimize graphics to decrease load time while retaining a level of quality. books are a waste of money and long winded. try W3Schools Online Web Tutorials before wasting your money. neve ever rely on a program to write anything for you. you'll just end up rewriting it anyway.

while($get_it !== true){ continue; }

Member #
    @ Dorky

I believe you took what i said the wrong way i was talking about a program that he or she can write the code in Such as notepad, dreamweaver, etc.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    i know zeke. to write code you need nothing more then a text editor. dreamweaver is what you give a client to update their own site if you cannot build a cms for them. dreamweaver produces bloated code that must be modified to accommodate all browsers and gives people a false sense of real ability. it's also on of the reasons the web lacks originality.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    To add to Dorky's point, there are a lot of good text editors that offer syntax highlighting/colored code, among other features, to make debugging a whole lot easier.

Of all companies, Microsoft has released a really good (and free!) editor that way called Visual Web Developer Express. It automatically creates projects for you based on file/folder structure, and if you're into .NET or trying to learn it (as I've been for the past year), it really shortens the learning curve. And no, it's not a WYSIWYG editor...it is actually a text editor.

I haven't tried VWDE 2010 with PHP yet, although VWDE 2008 was weak in that regard. It may still be strictly for Microsoft technologies. I've become a fan of it, though, and it's slowly but surely replacing an old copy of HomeSite that I've used for the past 10 years.
    George Dolidze likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Hey ty again!

Now what u guys saying is: i can make a layout with photoshop and then try to write all i do on html code with another software to publish the website? or i should try to build all from html? the last one makes me been a little scare with the start.

And thx dorky for the w4schools website... is great!

Note: Zeke im a guy.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    yeah. it's only scary because it's new to you. html is very easy to learn, css a little harder but not to bad. i suggest you learn these code by heart. then if you choose to use a program like dreamweaver, you will at least know what you're looking at and why certain things don't work. but after you learn code you will like game and i, find DW pointless. you can do so much more from raw code and so much more control over your site. if you ever get into scripting, dreamweaver will be a mute point as it can only use the scripts it gives you. it cannot handle dynamic sites nor can photoshop. by the by, photoshop should only ever be used for graphics. you can produce html with every word suit on the market but like photoshop, it's an extra feature and not intended for creating websites. again something for individuals and clients to manage their existing site or small web presentations on microsites.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads