Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Hi, I'm trying to make a load of different images ALL the same size. Now because some are differently proportioned I would like to select just a part of that image, usually losing some of the border. Trouble is, when I use the square selection tool in PSP9 if it's in the wrong place when I try to move it it alters the image. What I want to do is move the selection area around until I place it exactly on the image before I do "Edit>Copy".

any thoughts please?

cheers, Lol

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    ignore this folks. figured out how to do it in Fireworks!

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Photoshop will also work for this purpose. What you'll want to do is use a fixed aspect ratio corresponding to the final proportions of your image. For example, if your final image is 100 x 100 pixels, your aspect ratio would be 100:100 (or for the ratio-experienced, 1:1).
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Well I've got a SORT of system going but it's long winded. In Fireworks I resize the image with the width (the critical dimension) set to 900px. I then use the rectangular select tool, select an area of the image 900x600 px, 600 px being the desired height. I can then move the area I want to select by dragging it with one of the corners. Once in place I copy and paste to a new canvas of 900x600 px dimensions.
    Only problem is, Fireworks will only save in .png format which is huge and I want .jpg. Thus I have to re-open the .png file in Paint Shop Pro 9 and re-save as a jpg.
    Long winded! If I could figure out how to move the area to copy without affecting the image in PSP9 I would be a lot happier!

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Again, you can do all of that in Photoshop without having to use anything else.

Step 1: determine your aspect ratio.
    Step 2: set it using the rectangular marquee tool.
    Step 3: use rectangular marquee tool to select your area.
    Step 4: Go to Image-->Crop to crop to the selected area.
    Step 5: Go to Image-->Image Size to resize your image to the dimensions you want.

It's pretty easy once you're used to it, and I'm not a graphics guy by nature.
    Syed Riad and m3n0tu18 like this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I'll experiment and report back, probably with more questions ;-)

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Tried it and it works great!
    Many thanks ;-)

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    No problem!
    m3n0tu18 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I thought of suggesting a batch file or some other automated processing, but Lol mentioned that this applies to a selection of the image, which suggests some cropping of extraneous elements, although I may have misread the post.
    m3n0tu18 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    I usually just create a mask of the size I want the final image (or images) to be, then I unlink the mask and move the image around until I find the position I like.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads