Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Hi all. My first visit here! Looks great!

Anyway, I've been using Photoshop off and on for a few years now. I'm eluded by two things that I always want to do, but am stuck doing the hard way. Any suggestions on what an easier way would be would be greatly appreciated!

Trick #1: Fill a shape with background horizontal or vertical lines. I'm assuming there is an easy fill or brush, but I cant find it. So I'm stuck manually creating all of the lines when I do this sort of thing.

Example: http://www.webdesignforums.net/attac...=&postid=74408

Trick #2: Create nice looking boxes that have perfectly cut off edges. In the example attachment this is what I currently do: Draw the red square. Select another square on another layer. Rotate that at 45% and fill it white. Place white square (now diamond) so it effectively crops off the red box. Merge layers. Select the red with the Wand tool, contract, delete. There has to be a simpler way, doesn't there? I find myself doing this all of the time.

Thanks for any advice!

Andrew
    Attached Images Attached Images

JR
    Member #
    Point 1 - Draw the lines on a blank canvas then go to edit --> define pattern. Then go to the fill tool and in the drop down menu in the properties window select pattern. Then there is a palette to select the pattern you made.

Point 2 - Draw a square box using the rectangle marquee tool. Then use the polyganal lasso tool and cut half of the box off. Cut that off the existing box and clean it up by using the rectangular marquee tool set to 1px by 1px.
    JR

Member #
    Can you explain what you mean when you say:

>> and clean it up by using the rectangular
    >> marquee tool set to 1px by 1px.

??

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    You forgot to mention in point 1 that you have to create a new image with transparencys with 1 of the 2 hieght and width settings:

1) for horizontal lines create a new image with transparencys with a height of 2px and a width of 1px then zoom in alot and take the pencil tool and make the bottom half black or whatever color you want the lines to be. Leave the top half clear an then go Edit>Define Pattern.

2) for verticle lines create a new image with transparencys with a height of 1px and a width of 2px then zoom in alot and take the pencil tool and make the right half black or whatever color you want the lines to be. Leave the left half clear an then go Edit>Define Pattern.

Then you have to open you new image you want to fill it with an create a new layer then select the fill tool. Now where all the settings are on the top toolbar below File, Edit, Image, Layer ect. are where it says Fill:Forground change it to pattern. Now where it says Pattern: click inside it to bring down all your patterns and it should be at the end of your list.

Now create a new layer and fill it then your done.

For the second thing I would do it completly different. I would say take your pen tool and hit cntrl and " to bring out the grid. Then make your points as seen in the attached image. Now right click inside the box shape and click make selection and leave it at default settings. Now delete the layer with the shape and create a new layer then go Edit>Stroke and set the width to whatever you want and change the color to whatever and hit ok. Now deselct and you have your thing.
    Jason Anderson
    Grommet Designs
    Web / Graphic Design

JR
    Member #
    Select the rectangular maruquee tool and set it to 1px by 1px in the properties window. Then zoom in and clean up any uneven parts using it (if there is any)
    JR

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Heres the pen tool image sorry couldnt add it to my edited post :P
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jason Anderson
    Grommet Designs
    Web / Graphic Design

JR
    Member #
    ugh, pen tool - my worst enemy
    JR

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Same here but thats a pretty basic move every1 can handle :P

Now those damn curves are too much for me.
    Jason Anderson
    Grommet Designs
    Web / Graphic Design

JR
    Member #
    Originally posted by Grommet
    Same here but thats a pretty basic move every1 can handle :P
    Not me
    JR

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    I would do #2 in illustrator, personally.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads