Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    I don't even know if this can be done, but I'm posting to Photoshop because there's a lot more activity here than in the other Design Software forums.

A client recently sent me a Word document (!) he had created combining text and an image for his logo.

I managed to cobble something decent together in Photoshop that works for online, but it is in RGB at 72 dpi.

Now he wants to have it for letterhead, business cards, eyc, and i am trying to figure out if there is a way to convert it to a vector image in CMYK, probably in Illustrator (which I own but am beyond newbie at).

I know he doesn't have the kind of budget for a professional logo creation and I'd like to at least try it for him.

Any ideas?
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    can't you take a screenshot of it and paste it to the other program?
    LOL OK I don't quite understand the situation but that's my only idea.

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Quote Originally Posted by shovenose, post: 213287
    can't you take a screenshot of it and paste it to the other program?
    LOL OK I don't quite understand the situation but that's my only idea.
    Oh, no, you can't. There are a lot of factors involved, but the main one is how vector images store information as opposed to how raster images do. It basically boils down to the fact that:
    - vector images are almost infinitely resizeable without any loss of quality (sharp edges) and raster images go jaggy when you enlarge them.
    - vector images save in CMYK which is better for print and raster images are (usually? always?) RGB which is better for web.

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    416 times
    Vectors are cool, but they confuse me... I really need to learn how to use illustrator.
    Word to customers who send you word
    My freelancer website: DolidzeDesign

You only need a parachute if you plan on skydiving twice.

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Quote Originally Posted by George Dolidze, post: 213301
    Vectors are cool, but they confuse me... I really need to learn how to use illustrator.
    Word to customers who send you word
    Yeah, I know - and actually he knows, too - he just asked me to see what I could do but not to spend too much time on it, if I can't do anything with it he'll wait a couple months until he has the budget for a professional graphic artist.

He's a good client who is very up front about his budget limitations, is willing to accept that you can't get a stretch limo for a taxi price, and always pays on time. And he's a repeat client, there will be more work from him on a fairly regular basis. He's the best kind of "bread-and-butter" client, I want to keep him happy if I reasonably can.

Member #
    Liked
    416 times
    Sounds sweet. Now to get me one of those...
    My freelancer website: DolidzeDesign

You only need a parachute if you plan on skydiving twice.

Member #
    Liked
    265 times
    send me the doc ill take a look for you. Your wanting it vectored instead is what im getting from your post AM?
    AlphaMare likes this.
    If you like my comments to your thread please click the LIKE button

Check out my portfolio: Here!
    View my company Facebook Page
    View my company Website

<<Plrease ignoer my typo's I have isdexlyia>>

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    When I run into this.... ( I don't have illustrator, but use macromedia's freehand).... I just import it as a raster image at about half transparency....

then just re-create it over the top of it...

yeah... you can probably import it and have the program convert it to vector... but I've been less than impressed with the outcome on several occassions...

instead of wasting time trying to convert... I just re-create it... delete the layer with the raster image in it... save it.... done...

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    But....

I have been able to take 72 dpi resolution images.... increase the DPI to 300... smooth the edges ( somtimes works... sometimes not )...

most printers ( letterheads, business cards, etc... ) will accept and use 300 DPI raster images... but you have to ask... depending on their programs they use for pre press... they do have limitations...

Member #
    Liked
    265 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Webzarus, post: 213483
    raster
    You Know all I can flipping think about now is Reggae Reggae sauce.... DAMNIT!

http://www.reggae-reggae.co.uk/
    George Dolidze likes this.
    If you like my comments to your thread please click the LIKE button

Check out my portfolio: Here!
    View my company Facebook Page
    View my company Website

<<Plrease ignoer my typo's I have isdexlyia>>

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads