Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi I am experiencing a problem in Photoshop CS5. I am busy designing a poster. Size 29.7 cm x 21 cm @300 dpi and CMYK.

I am using a CMYK Colour profile and when the document is created the size of the document is 214.1 MB in size? It is slowing down my pc alot and I think it is because of the size of the document. Is there a solution to fix this cos I am sure that this is not correct by the size of the document being 214.1 Mb in size, and when I start creating in the doc, the size of the document becomes larger as I add more elements to it slowing my pc down even more.

Can Somebody please suggest a solution to this. Thanks

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    What resolution are you saving at? The higher the resolution the bigger the filesize.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    300 DPI in CMYK. I checked the Image size in the image size popup box. It says Doc size : 29.7 cm x 21 cm Resolution : 300

Okay I saw the problem. I havent cropped the image befoer saving. Silly me.
    The file size has dropped down to 39.4 Mb

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Crispian, post: 224448
    300 DPI in CMYK. I checked the Image size in the image size popup box. It says Doc size : 29.7 cm x 21 cm Resolution : 300

Okay I saw the problem. I havent cropped the image befoer saving. Silly me.
    The file size has dropped down to 39.4 Mb
    Good to know - posting your solution may help someone else - thanks.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Kewl

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    I'm no expert in photoshop ( actually haven't used it in some time), but the old version I had, had an option to setup a swap disk ( instead of using your pc memory to hold the file while working on it ), made working on some 600m + size files easier.

300DPI Is about the minimum for "print" resolution (offset printing), but if you're going to create a " web version ", anything over 96 DPI is overkill, actually most browsers can't display over 72DPI, but the extra little bit does make a difference if saved to a local computer ( display wise ), but you don't want to print from it.

Member #
    I am using my D: drive when working in Photoshop. I never use my C: drive with photoshop.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    I always use a portable drive or memory stick for the swap drive.

If the swap drive you choose is the same physical drive as the one the operating system is on ( a lot of people partition off their 1 drive on their machine as multiple drives ), there is no real performance gain. It has to be a completely different drive ( if I remember correctly ), to get any real benefit from using the swap drive. The best performance gain is on a different drive mounted internally in the pc as it uses bios mappings which are much faster than USB mappings. And a 7200 rpm drive is going to make a big difference over a 5400 rpm, or course ideally ( if you can afford the hardware ), a 1000 rpm scsi drive setup is the way to go with this...

One of my clients has 5 dedicated machines for some high end 3D drawing software they use... XP 64 bit with scsi drives, and 16gb of ram is the only configuration that handled some of their gb files.

Member #
    Kewl. Will keep this in mind for laterz

Remove Ads