Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    This is something I have never been able to figure out for the life of me (mostly because graphics never have been my specialty).

Here's an example of a graphic with the look I want to achieve:

The only part I can't figure out is everything is all scuffed up and scratched looking and "stampy" looking (I have no idea what this effect is called).

I'm thinking a new layer goes overtop of the red layers, but that's as far as I can figure it out. I can't figure out if it's a brush or a pattern or what is used, and what type of blending effect or whatever is used.

Anyone know of a tutorial I can follow along to get what i want? Thanks.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    TheGAME1264 likes this.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Thanks, man. I found a video tutorial that got me the effect I ultimately wanted (with some tweaking).
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Just saw this ...

I've used a white layer, with a marble pattern set at about 5-10% transparency to get pretty much the same effect.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Is this the video you saw? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2m9A15qRl4 . I find it useful as well.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    There are a few things you can do to achieve this goal. You can take a picture of some very rusted metal that has lost almost all of its paint and you can use the texture of the image to create the stamp effect. If you have a colored image, you want to make it black and white, with the white being what creates the grunge look of your element. How you do this is to open the colored image in photoshop, hit "CTRL + SHIFT + U" on your PC and this will grayscale the image. Now if you hit "CTRL + L" on your PC you will bring up the Levels window and you can control how dark the blacks are or how bright the whites are. If you drag the black arrow to the right and the white arrow to the left, you can see how much white will be visible for your grunge effect. Just drag the arrows to your liking. Once you have set it how you want it, just click "OK" and layer the new black and white image on top of your element in a new layer and change the blending mode in the layer palette (on the black and white image) to screen or lighten. Screen or lighten will take out the black, almost like it uses the black as an alpha channel. You should be able to move the black and white image around now until you place it where you want it and when its position is set, all you have to do is hold the "ALT" button down on your PC, and while you are holding that button down, move your mouse cursor in between the two icons of your two layers in the layers palette and a new mouse cursor will show up, when it does just left click and viola. Your top layer is visibly cut out to the shape/alpha of the layer below it. Another way to accomplish a black and white image is to make a new layer in Photoshop, fill the whole layer with whatever color you want. Make sure your foreground and background colors in the tool menu are black and white then go up to Filter > Render > Clouds. If you don't like the seed, you can keep hitting "CTRL + F" to keep applying the last filter you used until you like what you see. Once you like what you see, adjust your levels by hitting "CTRL + L" on your PC until you like the difference between the black and white and viola follow the rest of the steps in the first section and you are done Hope this helps.

Remove Ads