Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: stream quality?

Member #
    Wondering if you could check something out for me.. I've got a streaming mp3 player on a site I've been working on. Could you let me know how the quality of the audio is, how quick it starts (should be about 15% of the buffer), and what kind of connection your on.

Content sections have been supressed (masked) until launch.

(Naturally it might be choppy on dial-up given the size of the files being streamed but its at the clients request.)

http://www.forwardtrends.com/sanctuary4

Thanks
    Aaron Elliott
    www.forwardtrends.com

JR
    Member #
    The audio sounds great, excellent quality. No problems there.

Very nice site, just remember to get rid of the horizontal scrolling at 800x600.

Happy Birthday BTW
    JR

Member #
    Thanks - I've been doing everything at 850 lately (at least for markets such as this nightclub) - I optimize for 1024x768 since its the most common resolution used (even on older machines now) If your still using 800x600 then its your own fault lol (and how come people don't say make sure there is no scrollbars on 640 wide - i'm sure someone still uses that too lol)

regardless.. thats not the issue - thanks for the input I appreciate it.
    Aaron Elliott
    www.forwardtrends.com

Member #
    why you laughing!!

Originally posted by forwardtrends
    Thanks - I've been doing everything at 850 lately (at least for markets such as this nightclub) - I optimize for 1024x768 since its the most common resolution used (even on older machines now) If your still using 800x600 then its your own fault lol (and how come people don't say make sure there is no scrollbars on 640 wide - i'm sure someone still uses that too lol)

regardless.. thats not the issue - thanks for the input I appreciate it.
    why you laughing ....? for me i always make sure my website
    works on 640X480 res.. why not???

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Took maybe 4 sec to buffer, quality is pretty good, not quite CD, but at least radio, cable connection here.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

JR
    Member #
    FYI...

I strongly disagree, these are the w3schools statistics (July 2003)
    1024x768 or more 49%
    800x600 44%
    640x480 2%
    Other or Unknown 5%
    People don't develop for 640x480 because as the stats show, it is 2%, and nobody cares about 2%. Making it 850 wide means that you are making 44% of the internet endure one of the most annoying usability issues.
    JR

Member #
    More power to you guys designing for 640 or 800.. I simply said I don't design for it on some of my projects. no big deal.

PS.. (from the w3schools website)

You cannot - as a web developer - rely only on statistics. Statistics can often be misleading.

Global averages may not always be relevant to your web site. Different sites attract different audiences. Some web sites attract professional developers using professional hardware, other sites attract hobbyists using older low spec computers.

Also be aware that many stats may have an incomplete or faulty browser detection. It is quite common by many web stats report programs, not to detect new browsers like Opera and Netscape 6 or 7 from the web log.
    Aaron Elliott
    www.forwardtrends.com

Remove Ads