Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    Hi,

So recently, I'm a freelancer and recently, I've had this idea of making a package for Wordpress work. Normally, I tackle project individually, but I really want to get more business from the small business owners, who probably get scared when I try to negotiate with them. Thus, I made a package and I've spent about 4 hours making this poster (photoshop and art are not my expertise areas, so that's why I'm so slow). I don't really do art. And I did not really know what to reference or what to use as a model for a poster. I tried to follow the "rule of thirds."

Anyone have poster making experience? Input would be appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #
    Liked
    171 times
    Its not to bad, especially considering that you don't really do art. I would start out by looking up other posters, or infographics, and picking ideas from them that I like and applying them to the graphic (poster in this case). I always pre-plan and that pre-plan always includes looking for inspiration.

As far as the graphic goes, I think the Hawaii islands should be towards the bottom, as that is the first thing I see reading from top to bottom and it gets your focus first. I would put wordpress logo above it since that is the purpose the poster.

Check out Google Images for some ideas

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    Thanks. I did look at a T-mobile and Verizon ad, but I didn't get much out of it. Or, I didn't really understand it. I supposed I could just copy the style, haha.

Appreciate the input. Hopefully, I won't have to do much more photoshop art this year.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Your poster looks nice (friendly color palette, easy to read, elements lining up).

A few thoughts:
    • Suggest changing "http://ronswebsite.com" to either "www.ronswebsite.com" or simply "onswebsite.com". I think most people are used to seeing/typing "www" as opposed to "http://".
    • On your bullets, I recommend decreasing the leading, and increasing space between thoughts. This makes it clear where each thought begins and ends.
    • It may be worth looking at the Hawai'i graphic to the right of "The Kama'aina WP Package". The shape could possibly nicely wrap around the text. I think it makes sense to keep the Hawai'i graphic with your heading since it directly relates. I think the WP logo is large enough to get the point across.

Hope this helps.

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DWooly824, post: 249333
    Your poster looks nice (friendly color palette, easy to read, elements lining up).

A few thoughts:
    • Suggest changing "http://ronswebsite.com" to either "www.ronswebsite.com" or simply "onswebsite.com". I think most people are used to seeing/typing "www" as opposed to "http://".
    • On your bullets, I recommend decreasing the leading, and increasing space between thoughts. This makes it clear where each thought begins and ends.
    • It may be worth looking at the Hawai'i graphic to the right of "The Kama'aina WP Package". The shape could possibly nicely wrap around the text. I think it makes sense to keep the Hawai'i graphic with your heading since it directly relates. I think the WP logo is large enough to get the point across.

Hope this helps.
    Thanks. I like those ideas a lot. ronswebsite.com is indeed a lot cleaner. I also like the idea of causing the graphic to wrap. That's brilliant, because I'm not a big fan of the current 2x2 grid. I would much rather prefer the images and words to look as 1.

Remove Ads