Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    I was messing around with night-time photography tonight.

Please tell me what you think of these 5 photos that I took.

Each is quite a bit different than the others... I was experimenting a lot.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Photo 1 - Downtown / Venetian Causeway

Here, I was trying to get a shot of the illuminated bridge with silhouette of Downtown Miami in the background.

Attached Images Attached Images

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Photo 2 - Downtown / Venetian Causeway

Same shot as above, but with a faster shutter speed, making it a lot darker.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Photo 3 - Port of Miami

In this shot, I was just trying to capture the blue light on the tent structures and their reflection off the water. The reflection was a little bit blurred by the slooow shutter speed.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Photo 4 - Children's Museum

This brightly illuminated building was just built. The large amount of light flooded on it provides a high contrast with the black of the night.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Photo 5 - Abstract

Here, I was messing around with the bulb setting, which allows you to keep the shutter open as long as you want. You can see the interesting swirls created by the lights in the background... this wouldn't work so well during the day.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I don't like the first one due to the light pollution (one of my personal pet peeves in big cities) so I'm more partial to the darker one, although I'd almost like to see it a bit more contrasty or dark. Also straighten those things out and put barrel distortion filter on them (I know it's not even needed at all, but it bugs me )

The blue ones... eh, just doesn't do much for me. I really like the white building one, it has a nice look to it. A bit tweaking on camera position and it could be a good photo. I'd like to see one a bit closer and lower looking up. Could do with more contrast too.

Your abstract... eh, I'm not too fond of jus the swirly types of these. I like 'em from the fairs (big farris wheels) and of freeways/roads witha tripod. Maybe try this with keeping the background consistent with the subject matter moving.

Nice photography in general, oh and by the way, I hate you and your nice camera
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    LOL, thanks for the feedback, man. To be honest, though, I don't understand some of what you're saying. I'm not an experienced photographer... just a kid playing with cool toys. :-P That said:

There's no pollution in Miami... the skyline is as clear as any small town (which is why it's the most photographed skyline in the world). The distortion you see is clouds and probably poor focus. I'll try to fix that next time. Oh, should I use a larger aperture on shots like this? That would allow the range of focus to be longer, right?

What's barrel distortion?

The swirly things were not really intentional. I was photographing the museum on bulb and a car drove in front of me, and I freaked out. It's more of a performance art piece ;-)

Member #
    I don't know much about photography either, but I love taking pictures w/ my digital camera (which some don't consider "true photography anyways). I like the first one better than the second, and if the reflection of the lights wasn't so big, I think it would be an awesome picture. I love cityscapes, both daytime and nighttime.

The third one is really cool, nice idea. I think if the tent was a little further down in the image, it would feel a little more balanced, my eye is drawn heavily to the very top of the image.

The fourth one looks like a cool building. The fifth one is a little too abstract for my tastes.

Awesome pictures overall, and don't take my criticisms too hard, I'm not an expert by any means. I just love lookin at photos.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Never heard of barrel distortion? :shocked: It's hard to describe..it's like laying a flat picture on top of a sphere.. gives it a rounding effect. This is from zoom lenses, mostcommonly foundin digital cameras. When I said light polluion.. I meant light, photons, light bulbs It's the kind of glow that I was talking about.. not mild pollution lol.
    Search google for Barrel Distortion and you'll get the full rundown on what that is...
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads