Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Fireproofgfx

Thread: Convert Rectangle Shapes to Vector Shapes

Member #

Convert Rectangle Shapes to Vector Shapes

Hi everyone,

I am working on an assignment and I am having to create a logo using Photoshop. I have had to use the Rectangle and Ellipse Tools in order to create my shapes. Now I would like to know how I can convert them into vector shapes so that I can fill them in with color, just like I usually do with the pen tool.

Here is what the work looks like right now. I would like to get rid of the edges so that all the shapes can form whole letters.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #
    Liked
    170 times
    Is this an assignment for school?? If so they should have taught you that you can't technically make a "true" vector with Photoshop. To make a vector you need to use illustrator which uses absolute calculations to create the "true" Vector.

For example in photoshop make a new canvas 800x800 and then using the eliptical tool make a circle and fill with it blue. Then go to the layers panel and add a 5px red stroke to the cirlce. Now using the resize tool make the image bigger and see what happens to the stroke, it will become pixelated meaning it is not a VECTOR whereas in illustrator you do the same thing and blow it up as large as you want and it never distorts or looks pixelated.
    bleau canon likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    There's no automatic way to "convert" a standard image to a vector. You basically just have to remake it from scratch.

Member #
    What you can do is open up Illustrator, open a new document, click File > Place, and place the same image that you posted here. Lock the current layer, add a new layer in the layers panel, then select the shape tool and recreate what you did. However, I would use a different color for the stroke of the shapes, so that you can distinguish between the new shapes and the original ones. Then after you are done, select them all and change the stroke back to black. When you have the shapes made, select all of the shapes in one letter, then go to Window > Pathfinder. Select the button on the top left of the Pathfinder window that pops up and this will turn all selected shapes into one solid shape.

An alternative method would be to select all the shapes after you've drawn them on the second layer in Illustrator, and turn the strokes invisible. Then, when they are all selected, click Object > Make and Convert to Live Paint, then click the Live Paint Bucket Tool and fill in the spaces in the shapes you have created with whatever colors you want. When you are done, select your graphic, click Object > Expand. This will turn them into a vector format.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Member #
    Liked
    933 times
    While we appreciate that you're providing some useful information, please don't drag up dead posts. Thanks
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Oh. Had no idea. Didn't look at the dates.

It was on page 2. Figured it was recent.

Remove Ads