Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Should I create my resumé using Photoshop or Illustrator?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Should I create my resumé using Photoshop or Illustrator?

Hello,

I'm a Web designer, and I want to create my own resumé (CV), so the question is :
    Should I create my resumé using Photoshop or Illustrator?

And what are the dimensions I should use?

Thank you for your time.

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    You should actually creat it in inDesign. A resume is very copy heavy and inDesign gives you the most control over type. If you are in the States you should use Letter-size which is 8.5"x 11"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    BlueCrater likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks for your help

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kakaka1 View Post
    Thanks for your help
    Sorry I had to cut it short, but you can do it in Photoshop if you do not have inDesign. I mentioned inDesign because technically that is the correct choice. If you look online you can find examples to inspire you.

BlueCrater likes this.

Member #
    I made my resume in photoshop and I have had some problems with submitting the file/image/etc. When I try to upload the image the a word doc the file is then too large, when I try to submit the image the file isn't supported. I would stick with another program to make your resume.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I agree that you should do it in InDesign but if you don't have it or you don't know it than you can make it in both - photoshop and illustrator. Just remmember about compression settings.

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    I vote that you skip past InDesign and dress up a nice resume using Illustrator and take advantage of the graphic tools. The text is still fairly easy to work out as well with the program and it's vector based. Good luck with what you do.

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Quote Originally Posted by flowboat View Post
    I vote that you skip past InDesign and dress up a nice resume using Illustrator and take advantage of the graphic tools. The text is still fairly easy to work out as well with the program and it's vector based. Good luck with what you do.
    Why exactly would you skip past InDesign? This is literally the type of project it was made for. Each of Adobes tools have a specific task that they are specified for. InDesign is the BEST (in terms of Adobe products at least) to handle page layouts. It has the most options for working with type which is a majority of the content on a resume. Not to mention your point about it being vector based is, well no pun intended, pointless.

Vector artwork's biggest advantage is scalability. It is the benefit of being able to create one graphic that works on something as small as a favicon to as large as a billboard. A resume is generally going to be one size. There would be no point in needing to scale it up or down.

Sorry, but InDesign is the way to go if you have the option. If not then Photoshop is going to be better alternative than Illustrator. Im sensing you are just getting started and may have some experience but do not fully understand what each program is best for which. Not your fault, we all start somewhere and I for one am not saying I have never done it. Just considering how many "logos" I made in photoshop back in my teens makes me cringe!

bleau canon likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    For icon creation and some color design. InDesign is better I guess.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Quote Originally Posted by flowboat View Post
    For icon creation and some color design. InDesign is better I guess.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
    No, thats what Illustrator is for. InDesign is for page layouts, plain and simple.

Let me help you a lil.

InDesign: Layouts, especially for print. This is why if you work for a magazine I can almost bet you will be working with InDesign. Text is the big thing here. InDesign is perfect anytime you need a lot of control over text.

Illustrator: vector artwork, good for things like icons, brands, and anything that would require scalability. For the most part you will design elements in Illy and move them to InDesign or Photoshop.

Photoshop: raster work, photo editing(although Lightbox is good for a lot of that), photo manipulation is probably one of the most useful feature. You will also create layouts but more on the web/digital side. Such as websites/apps concepts.

Now you can obviously use any of these to do just about all of the things we need for a resume, but when you ask which is better there are tons of reasons why you should choose one over the other for each situation. More reasons than I pointed out here, but this should give you more insight than you have now.

bleau canon likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads