Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: what software coding language was used to build these websites?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

what software coding language was used to build these websites?

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to web design and I'm trying to learn the basics and build up my skill set, what software/programming language should I begin with? I'm interested in developing websites similar to these:

https://theintercept.com/drone-papers/

Cut4.me

hoping this isn't a lame post for y'all. Any 411/wisdom you guys have to share would be sup helpful

Thanks in Advance!

Member #
    Liked
    296 times
    What have you learned so far? It's hard to answer if we don't know your starting point.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hey Delstu,

Thanks for the reply!

I'm a total beginner. I have some experience using dreamweaver and processing but really I would just not even count that. I want to sort of just layout a plan of what to learn beginning to end. Hopefully to be capable of building websites to the degree of the examples I provided!

Member #
    Liked
    296 times
    HTML and CSS would be your starting point, then javascript. Later you would want to pick up two more programming language - preferences vary, but you will need one that will work with databases (PHP or ASP). By the time you get this far you may have an idea of another programming language to learn such as Object Oriented Programming, Python, Ruby, or another of several possibilities.

From a marketing standpoint I hate the examples you provided but you have time to learn along the way.
    TheGAME1264 likes this.

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Go for Jsp if you want tough time and you like programming stuff otherwise PHP is better choice.

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    69.us is built using Ruby on Rails
    Intercept appears to be static HTML
    Cut4.me is built on WordPress for some odd reason, which is built using PHP.

Don't go for JSP. It's a junk server-side tech built to shoe-horn Java where it doesn't belong. It's clunky, slow and just don't.

PHP is fine, I suppose. I've been vectored into it over the past couple of years against my will. It isn't a bad tech, and it's fast. The language is just...not as well put together as it could be.

I really like Node.js. It's lightning fast, uses JavaScript as its language (which is extra awesome), and it's growing very quickly in popularity.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Actually, Intercept is built on WordPress, although it's highly customized. There is an indicator, although it's a lot harder to find than a typical WP installation (hint: look in the inline Javascript). All of them use some form of video editing software. The "69" site is built using the Shopify e-commerce platform.

drinkingwater, you're making a mistake that a lot of people make when they want to build a website or have one built: you see something that looks nice and shoot for that as a goal. Not that a site shouldn't look nice, but there's a lot more that goes into a successful site than the aesthetic. The aesthetic is just the easiest and most obvious thing to focus on.

All of these sites have serious "design" issues. Intercept is quite Javascript-heavy., "69"...covered it. Anything on a platform is a bad idea. Both intercept and Cut4: WP. As WP goes along, it gets more and more bloated and less and less ideal to work with. None of these sites are likely doing what the owners want them to (i.e. drawing a significant enough base of converting visitors), which is the only real measure of a good site vs. a bad one. We're both speculating when we look at a site, but the difference is that I'm speculating by looking at the underlying HTML, site structure, etc. The Intercept is likely doing the best out of the lot of them.

As far as what you should learn: learn what will get you to what you want to build. Don't just focus on how things look, either, but on problems that need to be solved and things that you can potentially build to fill a need or a want.
    delstu and satindertech like this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Oh man! Thanks Everyone for the help!

I should elaborate that I'm not looking to learn the skills for any commercial applications but rather to build multiple sites around project ideas that I have. Looking to do that as neatly and tidy as possible and those websites that I linked integrate video, moving images, and text in a way that really appeals to me! Does anyone here have any experience with processing? I think that's a language that I will be picking up because it seems simple enough and is made for visual artists!

Again, thank you all for the help!
    satindertech likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    There's a language called "processing"? I'm no visual artist, but that doesn't sound right to me.

Remember, too...it's not about whether it appeals to you. It's about whether it appeals to them ("they" being your target audience). And if you play the "subjective elements" game, you're probably going to drive yourself nuts in the end. We all have different tastes.
    Vapr_Arts and satindertech like this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    I have never learned of a language called processing either? I looked it up and it is indeed something. I didn't read anything on it but just browsing it looks like a variation of Jade or something similar. It feels like someone took Jade and packaged it as a new language. It may very well be a new language but we all know that whatever it is, HMTL/Css have to be what it is processed into.

As far as "...really appeals to me!" Like Game said, it doesn't matter if it appeals to you. You already believe in the product or you wouldnt be building a site for it. The site is to appeal to people who don't already believe in your product but that you feel should/will. This is design 101, and if you didn't know that then I would suggest you start considering learning how to design or be willing to hire out.

It also really doesn't matter what language you use. The only thing that matters is does it work, and are you able to accomplish the job with it. Hypothetically I can build something with Php just as well as Game could using .NET. Not to mention, like I said it all gets "processed" down to HtML/Css. I didn't see much logic from Processing, but I didnt look very hard. Maybe theres more to it than I saw?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    TheGAME1264 and satindertech like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads