Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Bic
    Member #
    Hello,

I'm sixteen and i've been thinking alot about my profession when i grow up. And I LOVE designing things on the computer weather it be web sites and/or graphics. And I want to know (from somone with schooling in these feilds) what kind of classes to take for my senior year of high school and college, and make my portfolio look better. (And im not just talking about designing classes either i want like presentation classes, logic, working with people, etc)
    BOXWARE.NET Productions - Tomorrow's not promised, so lookout for the rampaging beer cans.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Look for a Marketing / Management degree (School of Business) with a focus on Advertising and Graphic Design.

That will give you a strong background in general marketing practices, personnel management, advertising strategy, copy writing, and design... You'll be on your way to Creative Director in no time.

Of course, the Advertising world isn't doing so hot right now, but that's all cyclical. By the tine you're 30, American advertising should be back on its game.

Bic
    Member #
    Thank you, i'll look into those. WooOoTz0r
    BOXWARE.NET Productions - Tomorrow's not promised, so lookout for the rampaging beer cans.

Member #
    Yeah I am also looking into design as a future and am looking for courses, are they the only ones you would recommend for college? What about after college moving onto university?

Member #
    I guess I'm going to disagree with transio's advice. I used to teach at a liberal arts college, although I myself went to a large university, so I know about both approaches to higher education.

The way to become a good web designer is not to major in Marketing or Management or Business. It is to get a solid, well-rounded education, open your eyes to new possibilities, realize your potential in many different disciplines, try your hand at new things, and practice doing the things you really love. If I were you, I'd major in English, but I don't think it matters that much what you major in.

Try to get a job or an internship or a work-study opportunity or a volunteer opportunity doing web design, maybe for your school newspaper or for the school's public relations department, or with the library. Find a mentor to work with you on developing your skills. By all means, take some courses along the way in both the hard skills and soft skills you need: Corporate Communications, Business Ethics, etc., as well as art: drawing, painting, color theory, etc. (In fact, an Art major would also be a good possibility.)

At the school where I taught, well over half the students changed their major. Some of these were students who were as passionate about what they wanted as you are. (In fact, I, too, changed my major halfway through my freshman year in college, even though I knew what I wanted to be when I grew up from the time I was 12.)

I hope this makes sense to you. At 16, I'm guessing you will want to push forward with your professional training, but I hope you will at least give some thought to this alternative way of attaining your goals. I think it'll make you a better business-person, a better web designer, and a better citizen.

Good luck!

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    I don't think he's asking how to become a web designer... he listed some interests and asked for advice on a courseload. His interests are:

Design
    Presentation
    Logic
    Working with People

Marketing / Management would be a great career for him.

Besides that, anyone who knows anything knows that Web Design is a dead-end career. I wouldn't suggest it as a career path to anyone coming out of high school.

EDIT: Actually, maybe he did ask how to become a web designer... not really sure... anyhow, I think he should at least look into advertising

Member #
    Would design be included on those sort of courses?

There is one I am looking into and it has a load of different computer subjects in one, including programming design and more.

Would that be a good one to consider Transio?

Remove Ads