Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi,

Im creating a CD presentation with Swish2 (its like Flash) & SWF Studio (.exe creator) and im looking for a special SWF. I though the people in the Flash section may be able to help me with this, since they deal with flash all the time. Unfortunately I dont know Flash or action scripting (Swish2 cant use action scripting) and im looking for an SWF that would collect very basic information about the viewers sytem and email it back to me:

Example of the return info:

Win XP
    PIII 600 mhz
    512 mg ram
    rez: 1024x768
    24 bit
    registered to / or user: Joe blow company

*(If possible the viewers/computers email address)

I would have this SWF file work in conjunction with SWF Studios SMTPsend pluggin, So when the viewer emails me or clicks a certain button the SWF would also collect the following info and silently email it me back to me. I think this is an excellent way of collecting basic info on what system and who is viewing your project, which in turn can help you redesign any changes that you may need to make to current and future projects. Does anyone know if there already exsists an SWF like this? where i could find it? How i could apply it? I would try to make it myself but Im a rookie and very new at this and I know "very" little flash.

Thank you very much

Member #
    You aren't guaranteed that users will be online when viewing your CD. If you even could do this, an error would pop up, or this process might dial up their internet connection. I'm not aware of anything that can do this, but if you are going to collect information about a user, you should draft a privacy policy. If I found that you were silently collecting my info and sending it to yourself from a CD I put in my disk drive, I wouldn't be happy. A website is unfortunately expected to do that these days, but CD's aren't quite there yet IMO.

Member #
    It's just the system information, so I wouldn't care...
    Some companies record your websurfing behavior, now
    that's a pain.
    "You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy and the tallest guy in the National Basketball Association is Chinese."

Member #
    You're asking for the user's name and email address, a lot of people will care. Computer's don't really have a default email address anyways. Email clients can have multiple email addresses set up, and you can't write a script that will start up their email client and fire off an email to you.

Member #
    good point

Englandshire, United Kingdomsville y'all!
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    If this CD caused my Internet connection to be dialed without me knowing and resulted in me missing a call or whatever it would probably go the way of AOL CD's*. Why not simply offer the user a reason to go to your website where you can snaffle system info to your hearts content (system data only mind you )

* Frying Pan Baseball - try it but don't use a Teflon pan that you want to cook with again! The CD's practically explode.

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    If a PC is online, you can have it email you something using an online form using a CGI script on your site, but it will work, even if the user doesn't have e-mail at all. However, you don't need to know all of that just for web design. OS and res can be captured in a server's logs. That's normally transmitted when you surf. The rest of that is invading someone's privacy without due cause.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    It's very easy!!

Ya there is and idea

Only possible if user will be online

you can use .swf and remote php file like action ="http://yourdomain.com/mail.php"

it is very easy man

Remove Ads