Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Hi Guys,

I've got a great client, the one problem is that he is extremely hands on and some of the things that he asks me to do seem like bad design moves to me.

We have been working on the homepage for his site. Based upon his very specific instructions (wanted to it styled similar to http://www.triplepoint.com ), here is a screenshot of what I came up with for him:
    http://www.mdcreative.com/nwlogic/nwhome_version2.jpg

He wanted me to make the clickable brochure bigger, change some of the blue fades to yellow, remove the top fade, and move the slogan down into the fade below the original top fade. Based upon those instructions, this is what I came up with:
    http://www.mdcreative.com/nwlogic/nwhome_version4c.jpg

Now he thinks that the design is too angular, so he wants me to add some "curves". He wants me to round off the right par, and create a big colored arch in the top bar. I tried it and it looked terrible. Does anyone have any ideas on how to add "curves" to this angular design without making it looked cluttered or off kilter? (note: orginally I gave him a really cool, different design in which I used the icon from his logo as a faded out watermark, but it was too funky for him. He wanted something very square.)

Any suggestions or feedback would be appreciated. He is basing his design input upon the triplepoint site, and the feedback from his fellow engineers! I need to either convince him that he is asking me to do something lame, or figure out how to do what he asks without sacrificing the design.

Cheers,
    Monique

Member #
    I think it looks great both of the layouts, why add anything else?
    regards,
    robc

Member #
    Thanks Rob.

That's exactly my point. He keeps wanting me to "mess with it" and I think that it will get ruined. I will add your comment to my list of reviews so that I can try to convince him to stop fooling with the design.

Anyone else have feedback to change or not?

Member #
    I actually like the second one more.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    mafunk,

Regarding the design, I think you should export it as a higher quality image so the gradients et. al. look better (remember, your client is judging it based on looks, not image size).

Regarding your client, it's never a bad thing to have a client who knows what he wants. If he wants changes, that's ok, too, as long as he's willing to pay for the changes he's asking for. It's worse to have someone who doesn't know what they want, or isn't willing to pay for your additional work.

But it's not your job to tell your client what he should like. His taste is his taste, no matter what his opinion is based upon. It's his right to get something that he wants if he pays for it, and it's your job to do that, even if you're not happy with it. You can SUGGEST that the style he wants isn't right for his business, or isn't necessary, or whatever, but if he insists, it's your responsibility to see to his wishes or drop him as a client.

If you don't, he'll just find a designer who will do what he wants and drop you.

Member #
    I agree that both the first and second one are nice. The problem is that he wants me to make a new version that I don't think will work.

Steve: I appreciate your input. So far I have abided by my clients wishes and am not worried about losing him. The issue is that I have no idea how I'm supposed to add these curves without making the design look like crap. So, if someone can tell me how they would change the design by adding "curves" I would like the input. If I add these "curves" that he's asking for I want them to look as good as possible.

In terms of image quality - it is a high res jpg (saved at image quality 8") Perhaps you are looking at it on a low res or small monitor so it looks squished to you?

Cheers,
    MaFunk

Member #
    Update

Well, I've been thinking about the feedback, and the clients response to my attempts to help him, and you're right. He just wants me to do it his way. So I will.

I really don't mind. He is a very good client to work with. My frustration largely stems from the fact that I want to provide him with the best design for the least possible price. So when I have to spend an hour here and an hour there doing things that will look stupid, I feel bad about wasting his money. I guess that is stupid thinking on my part. He wants to see something I darn well better show it to him.

Member #
    Did Mr Gates get where he is now being charitable? He wants to pay you for more hours let him, he knows who's paying and it's for that reason you should do as he wants. It's fine offering your own personal opinion but I've also met the type of people who know what they want - saves me thinking though, I suppose.

Nice layout, good luck with it.

Member #
    I like them both but:

On my moniter you have to scroll sidewards. (ant good)
    I also dont really like the sharpe corners, looks like a box.

Other then that its good, and i think you should always listen to your clients. they no what they want not you.

Banned
    Member #
    did you try telling him that he wanted it like triplepoint which is pretty angular and not even slightly curvy? try telling him that he employed you as a designer he needs to put his trust in your design skills, either that or come up with all the design ideas himself, instead of waiting for you to put together a design then throwing in a stupid comment like, 'can we make it more curvy?'
    I've experienced this type of client before, and generally he wants to feel like hes putting input into the site, yet usually they're happy in the end with what you produce. You just need to not make it obvious that you're completely ignoring his obviously bad design suggestions, so he feels like hes contributing while doing what is best for the site

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads