Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    So here I am, minding my own darn business, when I get a great idea for my personal site. She-bam, it's the best thing I've ever created. So I slice-and-dice (for the first time, so I feel all proud and junk), slap a couple columns of lorem ipsum in there, and come up with this: http://www.designdaisy.com/test/index.htm

Great! Rollovers and all, too!

Well, thank God I've got half a brain left after coding, and I try to add more text. And what d'ya know, this happens: http://www.designdaisy.com/test/index2.htm

AHHHHHHHH! Okay, I know I'm a newbie with this slice-and-dice, but what could I POSSIBLY have done wrong?!

Images are at:
    http://www.designdaisy.com/test/images/frostbyte.png (layout)
    http://www.designdaisy.com/test/images/title.jpg (repeating 'bg' across the top)

Stylesheet (just in case):
    http://www.designdaisy.com/test/fbstyle.css

All the other images are slices of frostbyte.png. Someone please tell me why I'm such an idiot and how to stop being such an idiot.

Also...my rollovers add a blue background to the pre-existing text. But, to me, it seems like it takes forever to load. It's not smooth and liquid, it's jerky and annoying. Does anyone know how to fix that?

Member #
    Hey Katie, I'd flatten the image and use dreamweaver for the mouseover effects and the links. Put your navigation into nested tables and that will prevent them from shifting down when you get text that expands past the end of the links nav. Also, I'd "preload" my rollovers and this will fix your delay in the ltblue over state. I've had this problem with FW<-->DW conversions as well and this was my workaround.
    Another option would be to build your Menu and Links nav in flash, then you could use templates in DW and the added animation to your buttons could be ltblue snowflakes...Just a thought.
    Hope this helps.

Member #
    I don't know how to use Dreamweaver for mouseover effects on graphics. Really, I don't know how to nest the tables right, either. Where should I slice the image to import it into Dreamweaver? Can anybody help me with that?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    mouseovers

well for mouse overs in dreamwever

first of all create two images for each button
    one for when mouse out and 2nd when mouse over then

open dreamwever's

Insert > interactive images > rolloverimages

and attach images that's all

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    here is ur nested table

see attached file

that is ur nested table examine how slice it

and do it in ur rest menu and tables

hope this will help u

thanks

Member #
    Hello Officialsize80.

There are a lot of threads in this forum with regard to preloading images. Have a search, and read to your hearts desire! These give you raw knowledge of how JS (JavaScript) works in these particular areas. With regard to nested tables, that's basically a table that resides within a a table. As you know, adjacent table rows expands out of control when one of the rows have more content than the neighbouring cells. With nested tables, content within the nested table remains untouched with regard to what goes on around it in the main table. One of WDF's members (Eric Busch) have a nice "basic tutorial" about tables here.

There are a lot of books available on how to utilize functions in Dreamweaver (have a couple myself), but I would definately recomend to try studying some of the underlying script languages (meaning JavaScript primarily, and some server scripting language secondarily(not Flash, which is an "in-house" product of Macromedia. Flash is breathtaking when you learn how to use it, but a bit of programming experience is neccessary to utilize "ActionScript" which makes Flash fly.))

The reason beeing that DW is basically a tool for people who already have knowledge of these languages, and hence work as a "shortcut-manager" for a lot of tasks. However, DW have a lot of coding limitations. What is preloaded is what you get. You can of course add your own scriptlets, but that again would require you to know some scripting language.
    Secondly, don't ever try to learn code by looking at DW's output (with the exception of general HTML) even though a lot of their commercials are saying: "aren't you glad you didn't have to punch all that code yourself!".
    Their code is very "inhouse" and 80% of the output is producing failsafe if/elseif/elseif... code for all of mother natures different browsers.
    If you try to extract the REAL JS-code or PHP/ASP-code from that, you will end up in a mental institution.

With regard to your post,..
    Very nice colour/contrast use, and the general design is very "eye pleasing". You clearly have a designers eye!

Best of luck to you!
    S. Rosland

Remove Ads