Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hey all, im trying to make a nice even border 50 px. inside my image

I start with a 800 x 600 square , i want there to be a black line inside this box, the line should be inset around 50 px , relative to the outside of the image. So it's really a box inside a box.

I tried doing a select all then going to "select" and "contract", but it's greyed out. There is a "border" option but thats not doing what i want.

Any ideas,
    Thanks.
    "It's very important not to embellish on your order. No extraneous comments. No questions. No compliments."
    - Jerry, in "The Soup Nazi"

Member #
    as you say, the Contract feature appears to be disabled if you have the entire canvas selected. what i tend to do is to draw a rectangular marquee just inside the edges of the page, and am then able to use Contract. but awkward, but it works.

Member #
    Select all, selects the whole canvas, that's why the contract option is greyed out.
    If you have your black box on a seperate layer, you can marquee it exactly at its outer borders by holding down the ctrl-key and simultaneously leftclick the layer holding the black box in the layers palette.

When selecting this way, contract and other options will be available.
    S. Rosland

Member #
    Hi, I am still unable to select it without greying out the contract menu.

im following your directions to the T.

Thanks
    "It's very important not to embellish on your order. No extraneous comments. No questions. No compliments."

Member #
    Place your black box on a seperate layer (as previously mentioned). If it almost fills the entire canvas, then increase the dimentions of your canvas to give some "air" around its outer borders. Then try to marquee it by using the above method.

This WILL work, guaranteed! I've tried it several times on different shapes. If your image fills the entire canvas, then it will select the outer edges of the canvas or grid (if "snap to grid" is activated). By increasing the canvas size, you avoid that problem.
    S. Rosland

Member #
    I figured out a better way,

it's so good ill charge 50 cents every time people use it

Member #
    How can anything be easier than one click? :classic:
    S. Rosland

Remove Ads