Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Problems;
    1. Used recovery CD to reformat computer to original state when
    purchased. After recovery everything worked fine.
    2. Began the process of re-installing important programs, all appears to work fine EXCEPT Photoshop 7 color settings. Prior to reformatting
    computer, Photoshop 7 worked fine. No color errors or problems.
    3. During Photoshop 7 installation, I get the error warning:
    "MONITOR RGB - COLOREAL ICM APPEARS TO BE DEFECTIVE. PLEASE RE-RUN YOUR MONITOR CALIBRATION SOFTWARE"
    4. I did not receive a disk or software specifically for the monitor. Do
    you know how I can re-run my monitor calibration software and what software they are referring to? I successfully re-ran the Adobe Gamma monitor calibration and it did not appear defective to begin with and did not correct the problem. I also went to the Coloreal website and downloaded/installed the latest version of Coloreal and this did not correct problem.
    5. I am NOT having any other Color Management issues ONLY in Photoshop. Prior to using the recovery CD, I did not have any Color Management problems.
    6. Photoshop installs, what appears to be properly, no errors etc. It is
    the original same disk I have used in the past. After installation, when I begin to use the program and set the color settings, in the software color settings dialog box, that I experience problems. I am also experiencing problems if I try to use the default settings. The recommended choice for my monitor is pre-programmed into the computer and displays as a optional choice in Photoshop as "Monitor RGB - Coloreal ICM". This is what I have used in the past and would like to use again. Also, some of the other settings I have used without any problems.
    7. Now I am getting error messages and visual color problems. When I try to open a picture (JPEG or any type) in Photoshop I get the above mentioned error, I have the choice of ignoring COLOREAL ICM and using no color management software (basically turning off color management) or to "use coloreal anyway". If I chose "ignore Coloreal ICM" (which I do NOT want to do), then the picture opens in Photoshop and as long as I have my RGB working space defined as "Monitor RGB - Coloreal ICM" then the whites in Photoshop and the picture show as white. However, if I make any color adjustments to the picture, then my whites turn beige and if I have any other setting chosen under Color settings>RGB Working Space (other than Monitor RGB) then the white completely disappears and appears as a beige color. Not Good.
    Why does this happen??? And is it bad to turn off your color managment. I could swear I use to use Adobe RGB without any problems. What are the pro and cons of turning OFF color management???
    8. This is really the problem. How to be able to select other choices
    from Photoshop's RGB Working Space selections without losing color management and or losing my white colors. Even my background white and color swatch whites disappear.
    9. Also, when I open a picture in Photoshop all my pictures get a
    "Embedded Profile Mismatch" warning. "Embedded: SRGB IEC61966.21 Working: Monitor RGB Coloreal ICM" if I reset my Photoshop Color Settings to: RGB Working Space IEC61966.21, I will not get the Mismatch warning, however, I lose my whites (they turn beige). My pictures are embedded with SRGB IEC61966.21. Why is this? and is this bad??
    10. If I chose and use the embedded profile (sRGB IEC61966.21) when
    opening a picture, my whites disappear (in picture and Photoshop) and turn to beige color as if it was thrown out.
    11. If I chose "Convert document's color to working space" the white
    back ground stays white (as it should) but the picture turns beige (whites are gone).
    12. If I chose "Discard embedded profile" background and pictures
    maintain the true white color UNTIL I begin to make color adjustments in Photoshop, then the white colors turn beige. When I am done making color adjustments the colors turn white again. Why does this happen and what can I do to correct?
    13. The only thing that seems to work is if I turn off all my color
    management options in Photoshop and select ONLY "Monitor RGB Coloreal ICM" and turn off "notify me of mismatched profiles". I will still lose my whites (turn beige) during any actions requiring color management and I do not get a proper color representation when working on a picture. I would like to be able to set my color settings to get the best possible color profiles.

Lot of questions, I know but any help will be greatly appreciated!
    Bill

Member #
    Sorry, I only skimmed your post, but it sounds to me like your monitor settings don't match the setup in Photoshop. You wouldn't believe how many people working with PS every day don't know that monitor settings can have a huge impact on how your documents look, especially if you're manipulating them based on what you see, which is what the program is for!

You don't need a disk to change your settings. There are buttons, usually located on the lower right side of the monitor, which will adjust basics like brightness, contrast, horizontal and vertical positioning. I am used to using a Mac, but it should be similar on a PC: find your 'display' settings and adjust them using the step-by-step onscreen calibration guide. I usually have my screen set to 9500 degrees kelvin (at least that's what I remember) for doing graphics work, which will make the whites look more "warm." Try printing something with a range of colours in it and compare the white point to your monitor, it might be that it prints fine but looks odd on the screen. If you still have the manuals that came with your monitor, it might give different suggestions based on your intended output. Since I have changed computers my monitor looks different, I have yet to find a setting that I am completely happy with. I suspect your computer has done something similar by resetting itself with the reload.

Good luck, and let us know if this works!

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Karen... that post was made 7.5 years ago...
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Remove Ads