Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Ok, heres the thing:
    I am a PHP programmer, but suck at graphics and want to start to learn how to do good graphics/templates.
    Anyways, I was wondering... lets say I have a template made, or I downloaded a template. It is made to cover the browser screen....
    Now if I add some actual data to the template.... and it goes below the screen.. wont it all mess up? Because photshop doesnt put the columns of the template (such as left menu, top menu, etc) into its own table.. and thus doesnt do a BACKGROUND="color"...
    Does that have to be manually made?
    Like for example, go get a free template. You will see that they are designed to fit in the page when viewed in a browser, yes, but if you add data to it by making the image the background of the TD and then add text that scrolls below the basic screen, wont that just go over a white area and off the template?
    Yes, I know its kind of confusing.. but I dont know how to explain!

Member #
    Rather than adding content into the template through Photoshop (which I assume you are trying to do) you would edit the HTML code (an HTML version is usually included by and good template site)

The HTML code would use a small image and repeat it vertically to make it seem like the template has expanded to hold the content.

If any of this is unclear, I think others can help explain it for you.

[Li] Brad
    "Art strives for form, and hopes for beauty." - George Bellows

Member #
    I guess I understand what you're saying, but I want to make my own template that works like that....

And also, how can I put text in photshop and tell it to make it html not an actual image...

And also, whats the deal with all the fonts that templates come with?

Member #
    Don't enter the text in photoshop. Photoshop is for graphics, not content. Leave room for your content, and then enter (and update) all of your content with an HTML editor like Dreamweaver or GoLive.

The fonts that come with templates are special fonts that are being used in your specific template. If you want to edit any unique fonts (ie. chanage the name in the banner) you'll need to install the fonts in your fonts folder (something like C:\windows\fonts, depending on your Windows version). Then photoshop can use these fonts.

Member #
    When you slice your template up, use a tiny image for the repeating areas of your site. For example, right click on the gradient on the left side of WDF and view background image (Firefox) or something similar for IE and others. As you can see, it's just a single image that repeats many times to give an illusion that it is actually the height of this webpage.

[Li] Brad
    "Art strives for form, and hopes for beauty." - George Bellows

Member #
    hmm ok. Now I need to be a visual person :P
    My php is awesome but my graphics... lol

Anyone know of any good tutorial sites for JUST templates (not graphics) ?

Also, how do people get that cool silver look that many put in the headers (like alot of the templates that you can purchase for lets say something like... a hosting site or some sort of professional site have the cool silver in the header... I cant seem to get it)

Remove Ads