Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I usually use Illustrator for this stuff (and now I know why) but I don't have it at my disposal.

I'm trying to outline something (text, a shape, anthing) w/o using the layer effects. I basically put an empty layer under my object. SElect->Modify->Expand 2px then fill w/ another color.

When I do this, the outline looks awful. I suppose non-Anti-Alias is the best way I can describe it. (Text is set to anti-alias, btw).

Is there a setting somewhere I'm missing?

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    try this.... make a second layer... ctrl + click the first layer and then use your up/dn/left/right arrows to move the selection around and fill it.

Try it this way, too:
    1. Make a second layer below the first
    2. Ctrl + click the first layer to make your selection
    3. fill the second layer black
    4. Put a 2px stroke "outside" the second layer, in black
    5. Make a third layer below the second
    6. Merge the second layer down to the 3rd to flatten the effects

Not sure if that will fix your anti-aliasing problem, but it's worth a try !!!

Member #
    Thanks, I'll give that a shot.
    BTW -- what do you recommend I stroke the 2nd layer with? Again - I usually use Illustrator for this stuff so have almost never bothered.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Another way ou can do this is to use layer effects and put a stroke around your object..

Then (in the layers pallet) right click on the stroke and go down and click 'create layers'. It will probably pop up a dialoge that will state the effect will no longer be editable. Thats fine, press ok. This will creat a new layer with what you are looking for.

This has long replaced my use of the expand contract slection option in photoshop. They never seem to work properly.

Member #
    Is this for print or the web ? (I know web seems the most obvious)

A screen shot could help, as adding a stroke to an object isn't exactly a complex task. What resolution are you working in ?

If its a bitmap object I would just just use 'Edit > Stroke'... If its a vector shape there should be a stroke option under 'paths' if you don't wish to use layer styles.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    I think he doesn't want to use layer effects (for whatever reason). That's why I suggested he use the stroke on the "under" layer.

Member #
    What's the problem with using layer styles?

Remove Ads