Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: image

Member #
    Hi there,

I have a image of a car, which has a background with buildings and trees etc etc, the thing i want to do is get rid of the background, so the car is the only thing left on the image, i have done this using the pen tool and the lasso tool, but not really getting good results, has anyone else got any other good ways of doing this?

thanks

edd

Member #
    When erasing the background, I generally take the marquee tool and select as large of an area as possibe and then hit delete, clearing that space out. To get the final 10% out that borders on the item you're trying to keep use the eraser. Using the eraser in brush mode can give you softer lines, so the final result doesn't have that "cookie cutter" look. Another tool you may want to play with is the background eraser tool. I've had mixed results with this, sometimes it works beautifully and other times it's done more harm than good. This type of thing is just an acquired skill, takes lots of practice.

Member #
    Definitely zoom in as much as you dare, and use a very small brush, that way the softness won't fade the edges too much. Generally on a mid sized image I would zoom in almost all the way and use a 5pt brush for fine work and maybe a 9pt for the large areas. Good luck with that.

[Li] Brad
    "Art strives for form, and hopes for beauty." - George Bellows

Member #
    Using the pen tool is the best option and gives the best results.

The downside is, many people have a hard time getting used to using it.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I do this many times a day at work, here's a few strategies:

Extract Method In Photoshop 7 there is a new tool called "Extract"

Filter->Extract

This will bring you to a screen with some options to th right and your image to the left. Select "Smart Highlighting" and select the brush size to around 10-20, (20 works well most of the time) Now trace around your car (the brush should 'stick' to the edges). After you are done, select the fill tool to the left and fill in this selection.

Right now it's going to look a lot like a big clown car... green/purple, don't fear this is only a method of selecting. Click the 'preview' button (it will take a few seconds) and you should be left with your car, but maybe the edges are going to be messed up.

Now select the Cleanup Tool (C) and move around the edges (keep smart highlighting on). This should do just as it says, and clean up the edges. Do this on all the blurry or rough parts.

This method works extremely well on high-contrast items and can be used to cut out an image in a matter of seconds that would take nearly an hour normal selecting.

Lasso Tool
    The next method is very easy. Use the polygonal lasso, zooom into at least 200% (I usually work at 400%) and select the image out using many small clicks.

Why polygonal lasso tool? Gives you the best results in both smoothness and exactness in straight areas. I also reccomend doing the selection in parts. I.E. select one part, shift+select (add to selection) for the next part until you have the whole thing.

Let me know if you have any more questions, I can post a tutorial or some sample images of how I've done this in the past
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Remove Ads