Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    I have a button that works prefectly fine. It is as a symbol and I can use it whenever I want. However, is there any way, I can keep that symbol but change the text without updating all the symbols at the same time? So I have my symbol with 'home' written on it. But I want to take that symbol from the library and put it into my movie, then have about 5 of them but each one with a different text on it? Like:

1 wud have 'home' on it.
    2 wud have 'about us' on it.
    3 wud have 'contact us' on it.
    4 wud have 'services' on it.
    5 wud have 'portfolio' on it.

But all of these are made from the same symbol.

I know this is confusing but I hope you understand. I am making a flash navigation you see, so I need to know!
    Rednerve
    Creative Freelance Design

Member #
    You can just pull out new instances of your button symbol (without text) from your library and add the text on top of it - and save it as a new symbol. Flash is smart enought not to duplicate the data when you save the swf.

Member #
    OK. I will try that. So if I just delete all the text on my button, and then use that. But I want the text to change when I rollover it. So how would I accomplish this? My button is like animated and it's like a boz with black text and when I rollover the text changes to white, and a smaller box expands from the middle in black. It looks good, but how would I accomplsih what I am wanting with this button. Because if I did what you said, then it wouldn't change the color when I rolled over, or would it?
    Rednerve

Member #
    As far as I know it would mean having to create 2 different frames for each button, so in the end you would end up needing 5 different symbols. (please feel to correct me if I'm wrong, not a flash expert here.)

Member #
    Awwwwww man!!!!!!! Do I really have to do this? If so, can I just change the text of it and save it as a different button?
    Rednerve

Member #
    Just duplicate the symbols, and alter the text on the new ones.

Member #
    OK, I will try that.

Nope. It still updates all the symbols. I put the symbol on stage, right-click and then click Duplicate Symbol. But then when I double-click it to edit it, it just updates the other one as well!
    Rednerve

Member #
    I use the recent version of Flash MX, I'm not sure if differences would affect you. Create your initital symbol, and name it 'one' for example. Right click on your symbol in the library and 'dupliate' it, for the sake of this name it 'two'.

Now drag the symbol named 'one' on to the stage and double click it to edit the text; it should be modified independent of the other symbol thats also already on the stage.

Its just one of those annoying counter-intuitive things. (Hope this works for you)

Member #
    I'm using flash mx as well! I will try it.

GOT IT! It works, thanx dude. This Trico guy is well-clever lol!
    Rednerve

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Another way you could do this without copying multiple symbols in your libary is to have one instance of the movie clip with an empty dynamic text field inside it. Movieclip would then insert its own text into the field according to its instance name. Of corse this would require some actionscript. But if you ever wanted to change the look of the button you would only have to change the one in the libary and all instnaces would update instead of going to each button and changing each.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads