Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: JPG's and GIF's

Member #
    So i have wondered what one to use for a while. I mainly use JPG's on my sites. I'm not sure which one is better and in which situation each is better in. I know GIF supports transparency, and it also supports animation. But any animation i have ever needed to do has been done in flash because it is on a larger scale than what a GIF can do.

So i am just asking, what situations should i use a JPG in, and what ones i should use a GIF in.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Use JPG for photos or high-color-depth graphics (such as graphics with lots of color blends or gradients), and gifs in any flat or low color-depth graphics, such as logos or text. JPGs do well for representation of photographs, but destroy flat graphics with artifacts. GIFs do well with flat graphics, but destroy gradients and photos with poor color depth.

Remove Ads