Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hello Everyone,

This is my first post here, so be kind

I would appreciate some expert advice on which graphic software I need to make a decent site. I know everyone uses photo shop and they say its the best, but I would hate to take out a bank loan to buy this 650$ program - Why is it so expensive ?

The Gimp which is freeware turned out to be disastorous for me, since it will take ages to learn this unix program, besides I'm not sure I can do all the stuff like html slicing...etc

I here that Paint shop pro is a reasonable alternative, can it do at least most of the essential stuff of photo shop?
    I'm also concerened about learning how to use it. It seems all the tutorials on the net are focused on photo shop? Are their any good sites which deal which teach paint shop?

Photo impact is supposed to be very easy to use, but I get the impression it is limited in capability and restrictive - cookie cutter style?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks
    sherif

Member #
    http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshopel/main.html
    Photoshop Elements - $100.00

Photoshop Elements is a light version of Photoshop, but not really light... If you were given photoshop and photoshop elements, as a beginner you would not be able to tell the difference. Most every tutorial on photoshop will be compatible with PE's also.

Hope this helped

Member #
    650$??
    You don't need Photshop CS, Photoshop 7 has too much stuff to play with, and is less expensive: See how much it costs here
    Photshop 7 has all the slicing stuff, plus a lot of things you will surely never use. Don't bother in learning the other.

Member #
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...nce&s=software

Another Link for PSE. Only $53.00
    And if you are willing to pay the $115 for PS7, then go ahead. But for you i dont think it is worth the extra $60 quite yet.

Member #
    I would go for a full version of photoshop. You could easily get a cheap second hand copy on an auction site somewhere. Maybe ebay or amazon. If not search on google and some sort of price comparing website will come up.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Photoshop is a powerhorse of a program, without a doubt the best graphical editing program I have ever used. I don't doubt it's worth one second. If you take the time to really learn photoshop and don't just use it for image slicing, then it's definately worth it.

GIMP is amazing in it's own right, I expect in a few more years it'll be getting up there with the big boys (getting)
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I use Photoshop all day long. I don't think none of those programs can be better than it, because they are it's imitations. You can download a trial version to test it out, and I admire my country, because I don't have your buying troubles ( I won't specify why , I think everybody knows). I hope you find and have the time to learn Photoshop, it's really worth it.

Member #
    Have you considered Stuido MX from Macromedia ?

Fireworks, Freehand would be the main choices when creating graphics. Photoshop is more aimed at print than the web, but is equally equipped. However its by far the most powerful if you are willing to learn it well.

Getting either version 6/7 would serve you okay; even though CS is the most recent, it probably wouldn't have all that much more to give intialy.

I don't know anything about Photo Impact, other than it seems like one of those programs that gets bundled whenever possible, ie hosting packages. Depending on your situation, industry standard software would be the way to go.

Member #
    Thanks Everyone for the replies. This has really helped. I wasn't aware that the older versions are that much cheaper. Looks like ps 7 is a good deal or perhaps the elements version. will have to read some reviews about the later.
    Your right about the buying troubles, have to worry about internation shipping etc.. . how did you see my IP??

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Well all mods and admins do. For security and other undisclosed reasons Like if you go for example to a site, the webmaster can see your IP. That's how web statistics work. They see your IP, then they scan from what country does it come from and then they add it to the database.

Remove Ads