Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi Guys,

Anyone know if we have to use the web safe colors on photoshop. I know this has something to do with the color depth supported by different systems something about 8 and 16 bit depth which was a big issue a few years ago. has this problem been resolved or we have to stick to the 216 colors?

Thanks
    Sherif

Member #
    No, nobody does. Just use the palette you relly want. There may be a little difference from Mac to PC's, but it's really impossible to display a single page the same in all systems/browsers/OS's. Don't bother about it

Member #
    I only notice small differences when using coours that aren't in the web-safe colour palette. I think that unless you are really dependent on having the exact same, accurate shade of colour, then do not worry about it, but where you may notice differences is where you use the HTML code, and if you use the same colour in an image file, you may notice very slight (normally unnoticable) variations in shade, though these are not neccessarily worth fussing over.

EDIT 12.30 GMT: http://freebooks.by.ru/view/GimpIn24h/ch15-02.htm has a useful article on the subject.
    justlivyalife - The future depends on what we do in the present. (Mahatma Gandhi)
    WDF Resources: WDF Rules
    Non-WDF: JavascriptSource | Dynamic Drive | phpBB | HTML-Kit | Winamp | Download Firefox | Morguefile

Member #
    Web safe palette, is it necessary?
    no,

Monitors can display thousands of colours. If colours do look different on other monitors they will remain relative to everything else, so often nobody is any the wiser.

Unless you've taken the time to properly calibrate your monitor colours will always be different. Even Adobe Gamma leaves alot down to user judement.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    I haven't used the web-safe palette religiously since 2001.

I only use web-safe colors when I'm developing for 3rd world countries.

I still tend to drift towards it just as a bad habit, but I'm breaking it slowly

Member #
    Thanks guys for your feedback. Actually the article I read about the web safe colors on webmonkey was really out of date (2001 I think) thats why I posed the question, guess its not worth worrying about in 2004!

Remove Ads