Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hello everyone

I didnt really know where to post this message, but as it has to do with flash, i thought i would post it here.

I am making a website and already have a flash game. I need a way to stop people from stealing it from the website.

I am going to put protections like external files, expiry dates (i can update the game with a new expiry date before the old one expires), URL checking (to make sure it can only be viewed on my site). But i have a problem.

If someone downloads the swf file and decompile it, they are free to get rid of these protections. and you must agree that encrypting it wouldnt be much help!

Is there a way to stop people from downloading the swf file and only limit a specific internet browser (e.g. internet explorer) to downlaod it.

I thought of this idea (though im not sure if it works), after remembering about a site i went to (forgot which site it was). When i tried downloading a file with flashget from that site, it was rejected and instead i downloaded another "error html file".

Thanks for reading this and i hope i get a solution to this, or another way to stop someone from being able to get files.

Member #
    only limit a specific internet browser (e.g. internet explorer
    This is a bad idea, but what you could do is launch the SWF file in its own 'pop-up' window, that was exactly the size of the SWF file, with no toolbars etc, so that no-one could easily download the file.
    justlivyalife - The future depends on what we do in the present. (Mahatma Gandhi)
    WDF Resources: WDF Rules
    Non-WDF: JavascriptSource | Dynamic Drive | phpBB | HTML-Kit | Winamp | Download Firefox | Morguefile

A small village near a small city near a small cit
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I thought of this idea (though im not sure if it works), after remembering about a site i went to (forgot which site it was). When i tried downloading a file with flashget from that site, it was rejected and instead i downloaded another "error html file".
    I saw this somewhere too, although I cant remember where and I cant help you, sorry.

I think this is your best bet though :thumbsup:

EDIT: or a script that makes it possible for people to downlooad the swf file from only your IP address...?
    tekp :cheeky: tekponline.com

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    You can try storing the SWF as a BLOB in a database, then access it through a PHP file. That way, it cannot be easily saved. You could further protect it by making the PHP script that displays the game set some session variable prior to doing so. Then, when the PHP script that loads the SWF could set the session variable back to default. It will only display if the variable is set to a specific value (preventing access to the SWF to anyone not from your site). Not sure if a PHP SWF output would be stored in temp files, but it's worth trying!

Remove Ads