Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    hi guys, please check www.bof-uk.com and tell me if my pre-loader appears to be working correctly. I dont seem to be able to tell, as the work conneciton is so quick, i cant realy be sure.

Also this is the script i use. If there is a problem, maybe someone could point to it in the script.
    Thanks in advance

// find out how much data has loaded
    count=int(_root.getBytesLoaded()/1024)+"KB";
    total=int(_root.getBytesTotal()/1024)+"KB";
    percentage=int((_root.getBytesLoaded()/_root.getBytesTotal())*100)+"%";
    status="Loading...";
    //set the x scale of the loadbar
    loadbar_size=int((_root.getBytesLoaded()/_root.getBytesTotal())*100);
    setProperty("loadbar",_xscale,loadbar_size);
    //check if all data is loaded
    if(_root.getBytesLoaded()!=_root.getBytesTotal()){
    gotoAndPlay("loading");
    }else{
    percentage="100%";
    status="Loaded!";
    setProperty("loadbar",_xscale,"100");
    gotoAndPlay("Scene 1", 1);
    }

Geraint Lewis

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    change this:

if(_root.getBytesLoaded()!=_root.getBytesTotal()){

to this:

if(_root.getBytesLoaded()<_root.getBytesTotal()){

also, add some images into the file so that you can test it with some content. it loads too quickly to tell if it's working.

Member #
    thanks again transio! i will try it now. As for the size, its over 150k, so modem users 'should' see it working.

Member #
    yea, if I'm testing a preloader, I'll usually throw an uncompressed audio file in it. Make sure I get plenty of time to see it load. Also, what version of Flash are you using? Some of the code can be optimized if your using 5 or MX.
    ex: Instead of using the old setProperty, you can just call the variable out....
    _root.loadbar._whatever
    Anyways, was the preloader the thin line at the bottom..the bottom of the outside border? Otherwise my connection must have been too quick to see it. I am digging the site though. I don't like the scrolling "Welcome to BOF..." I think some sort of text fly in type thingie would look better. Maybe thats just me, not a big fan of scrollers.

Member #
    hi minger, thanks for your reply, good idea about the uncompressed audio file.
    And thanks for the positive feedback regarding the site, (i really want to plough some time into developing but keep getting tied up with mroe mundane things)

as for the pre-loader, yes im using MX, so maybe i should attempt to optimise it....

....ive just tried loading the site at home on my MODEM connnection, and im not convinced as the website animation still judders and stops now and again (obviously not completely pre-loaded) so is my code wrong maybe? it doesnt appear to be quite doing what its designed to.....

Ger

Remove Ads