Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi

Im trying to create an effect where a line looks as if its being drawn on screen (bit hard to explain check my attached files). Thing is i have done this two ways :

1) Frame by frame work, this looks the best out of the two but is still not entirely as smooth as id like it! The main problem with this is that i end up with 60 or so frames ! originally i had 140 to make it look smooth but ive had to make a comprimise. The problem with this it has to run at about 60 frames a second to look good!! Well thats no good for me as im not intending to run any more that 30 fps.

2) Secondly i tried to use a mask with motion tweened shapes but again this doesnt look quite right!!!

What i really want is a smooth and fast animation, ive seen this done on many other sites such as fixionestudio.com but cant seem to fathom it out myself.

Can Anyone help me or has any better ideas?

Download my source files at:
    www.razmataz-designs.co.uk/lines.fla
    www.razmataz-designs.co.uk/linesmotiontween.fla

Cheers
    Whats the matter the CIA got u pushing too many pencils ???

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    The human eye cannot distinguish more than 30 fps. You will be fine with that.

The second example you posted runs incredibly fast for me. The problem you're having may be the processor / video limitations of your machine.

Member #
    Could be my machine but its not that old !! The thing is to me they dont look like there flowing if you know what i mean. In the second one i cant figure out how to get the cirile to appear like it does in the first movie. I like the way it appears in movie 1 but i want it to go faster but i cant because of the number of frames required to make it look smooth.

Member #
    Transio which of the two clips would you say looked better ? Does the first one run slowly on your machine ?

Member #
    yes, both ran very quick on the machine that I'm at right now. Although this is my work computer and its very quick. As of now the first looks better in my opion. The second doesn't run as smoothly, and it's too fast. Also, the second doesn't unmask the circle correctly.

I would try and go for the mask tween rather than frame-by-frame. I would think that frame-by-frame would increase the file size a tad. you say that your having problems with the mask of the circle. You should just break the line up into two parts, the straight and the circle. Then unmask them on seperate layers. This way you can have a seperate tween for your mask of the your circle if you know what i mean.

If this isn't clear let me know and I'll try and whip one up for ya real quick. Hard on time right know as I have a final in 2 hours that I haven't really studied for...which I should be doing right now instead of typing this

Member #
    Minger if you could whip me a one up that would be great cos im clueless! Someone else told me i can guide a mask over a path but this was no good either !

If you could show me an example that would be great!

Member #
    Also using action script has been suggested to me ! i know zero action script does anyone out there know it well and can suggest something ?

Member #
    Here's how your gonna do it using actionscript. The author uses the script to make a circular masked preloader. However, the same principle holds true...
    http://www.flashkit.com/tutorials/Ac...1017/more5.php
    If I get time soon, I'll try and work with it.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by transio
    The human eye cannot distinguish more than 30 fps. You will be fine with that.
    transio always brings up the best topics..

There is a difference between 30 fps and say 80 fps.
    Have you ever played a pc game that ran at 30, then bumped it up to 80? Huge difference.

Here's some more info :
    http://www.100fps.com/how_many_frame...humans_see.htm
    http://amo.net/NT/02-21-01FPS.html

Member #
    okay ill give that tutorial a go!

Remove Ads