Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

jmf
    Member #
    I should know this.
    My goal is to upload 72dpi images that are 600px wide to a website.
    The client insists that I can take the TIFs he provided me with, which are 2400 wide, but only 60dpi and resize them to my goal of 72dpi and 600 wide and that the quality won't suffer.
    Is this true?

I did a comparison and can't say for sure that I see a difference.
    Thanks a lot for your help.
    J.

Member #
    Take it into PhotoShop and go to "image size." Be sure that "constrain proportions" is checked and then enter your target resolution (72dpi) in the resolution box --be sure to do this first! Next, enter the value of "600px" in the "width" box. Hit "OK". It should be able to resample from such a large size to make them still clear and workable for you. Hope that works!!!

jmf
    Member #
    Thanks.
    I know that I can do that. But I'm wondering, if magnifying the image, say someone viewing this with an 800 x 600 screen resolution, would see differences than one would see on a monitor of 1280x1024?

Again, what i'm comparing is the differnce bewteen a 60dpi image at 600x357 and a 72dpi image at 600x357.
    The 60 was made from an original 300dpi image and the 72 was made from that same 60dpi, where it started as a 300dpi tif, was sized down to 60, and then up to 72.

My quesion is, would that 72dpi which was made from the 60dpi, appear different on some screens than a 72 that was made directly from the 300?
    Thanks again.
    John

Member #
    most definitely! ALWAYS better to downsample from the larger, 300dpi image than to try to kanuedle from something smaller in res! IF you have the option, resize from the 300 rather than the 60. However, if you were saying the 60 was 2400px wide and you only need 600, sometimes the math works out in your favor if that's all you have to work with.

jmf
    Member #
    I asked for 72dpi, but was provided with the 60.
    So, whether this is all I have to work with or not is dependent on the willingness of the lab to redo it for me. She is telling me that it makes no differnce and that I can achieve identical results using the files she already gave me that I would be able to if she goes back and makes me 72dpi images from the original 300dpi scans.
    I guess I "get it" that since her 2400wide 60 dpi images are larger than my goal of 600wide 72dpi images, that it may not make a differnce in most cases - that the difference may be impercievable to most people.
    What I'm afriad of, though is that the images may not look as good in some instances, for example on a monitor that was set to a different resolution, or Web-TV or something, etc.
    Since there are hundreds of images in question, I don't want to go through posting this entire website, and then find 6 months from now, that there are resolution problems. I need to address this now.
    thanks again.
    J.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I think you answered your own question, when you wrote that you weren't sure you could see a difference. Check it out at different screen resolutions, and if there's nothing glaring, don't worry?
    My best pal's site: Algarve Beach Life :ichatcool:

jmf
    Member #
    The only reason I'd worry is that I don't know how it's going to look on everyone else's monitors.
    For example, on a monitor set with a different resolution or webtv or...

Remove Ads