Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mac?

Member #
    OK. I don't really see the advantage Mac's have over PCs in graphic design. For like 2800, you can get a Mac with:

G5 PowerMac 2.0GHz Processor
    512Mb DDR RAM
    160Gb Hard Drive
    CD RW/DVD Drive
    64Mb ATi Radeon 9600 Graphics
    3 Firewire Ports
    Network ready, Airport Ready
    17" LCD Monitor
    Mac OS X v10.2 Operating system
    1 Year Free Onsite Warranty

While for only 1700, you can get a PC with:

3.4GHZ INTEL PENTIUM 4 PROCESSOR
    1024 MB DDR RAM
    400 GB HARD DRIVE
    DVD REWRITER DRIVE, DVD ROM DRIVE
    256MB GEFORCE FX5700 LE GRAPHICS
    802.11G WIRELESS CAPABILITY
    BUILT IN TV TUNER
    19" TFT
    WINDOWS XP HOME, WORKS 7
    1 YEAR FREE ONSITE WARRANTY

So how come people recommend Mac's for graphic design?

Thanks, will7.
    Rednerve
    Creative Freelance Design

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    I wouldn't. It makes more sense to develop pages on the platform that people in which people will be viewing the pages.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    ... Because of the Macintosh elitist Cult; just because they were first to slap a visual G.U.I togeather doesn't mean they're any better in todays terms. However they're everywhere in industry so you have little choice but to work with them.

I accidently called a Mac by the name of PC once; the technician responded - "Oi, Language..."

Apparently they tend to be more idiot proof and stable... If you don't wish to learn how to take care of a pc then a Mac makes for an easier choice; just cough up the dough and realise you're paying for branding.

In terms of making websites, the average home user is going to own a PC. (refer to previous post)

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    In my honest experience, mac's outperform PC's mhz wise every time. My stepdad's 400mhz cube could blow my 800mhz duron out of the water for a lot of operations back in the day... it's a lot more complex than mere stats. They're completely different hardware, completely different OS, everything is completely different. You can't just sit there and go: 3.4ghz > 3.0ghz when comparing pc/macs.

I prefer macs, but I'm too poor to own one, so bah
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    I have a G4 at work and the only redeeming factor for it left (other than the system is pretty) is OS X: stable, pretty, and Unix at the core. Unfortunately, recently some core networking service died and starting stinking up the system and I couldn't track it down, so it was a reformat.

A new Alienware system will be replacing it hopefully in June.

Member #
    Alienware PCs are sweeeeeeeeet. I made one on their web site that was like a killer PC...I mean amazing. Only problem was that it came to $15,388. lol.
    Rednerve
    Creative Freelance Design

Member #
    Macs/PCs?

PCs crash every 10 seconds
    Mac's barely ever crash, and if they do it is almost always possible to get out of it.

They also don't have WINDOWS...

I used a PC primarily, but I also have done tonnes of Print work on Mac's and it is alot better, stability wise and other.

They're also damn sexy.

Member #
    my pcs dont crash, my main design computer is old sony vaio laptop that cost me $400 on ebay, i love it, she is my baby, (pictures available.) anyway what are we doing starting a war.

ok then i will put in my 2 cents, Macs come with and use ie 5.x a browser abandoned almost a year ago, it gives me major headaches when it comes to design, therefore although its microsofts fault. it erritates me that mac users dont get the point.

btw i am in the market looking for an old ibook, comperable speed to my sony. something for testing purposes.

i do not use a mac because of money, compatability, propaganda that a designer must be on a mac. macs lost the market long ago. anyone can make anything on anything. macs no better then pc or vice versa, i seen crap come from both. either your a great designer or your learning or you will never learn, it dont matter what you use.

i like toyotas more then fords, why, well cause they are better, ok bad example but you get my point...

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Macs come with Apple Safari now, which is a far more competent browser than Mac IE.

It is a user preference. Debating which is better is stupid.

Member #
    PCs crash every 10 seconds
    That's because of user ignorance and now knowing how to take proper care of them... A well maintained PC(XP) is just as stable as any Mac can be. (OSX)

They're also damn sexy.
    Made by designers for designers. I'll admit their cinema flat-screen displays are nice (but that's a monitor not a computer), aesthetics can easily be emulated on a PC.

In terms of web design you'd be happy to buy a Mac just to follow the nostalgic crowd ? ...and have a PC for testing; when you could do both on a PC equally proficient.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads